Something different and im still unsure about it, Sgian Dubh

Lerch

Hi all

Well a coworker of mine asked me a while back if he could work with me on making a knife for him, he said he wanted something historical and i told him to figure out what he wanted and we would get it done. he came to me a couple of days later and asked me to make him a Sgian Dubh celtic knife, i said i had no idea what the heck he was talking about :les:

He gave me a little brief history of the knife and we looked up some google pics of the various examples and settled on one that was his favorite. in the beginning i wanted to fancy up the knife some for him but he is a VERY functional based person and doesnt care for much of anything fancy though he does like "old or antique" stuff. He also fell in love with mammoth ivory after i got my first shipment in, like i said he likes old stuff :9:

anyway here are the specs:

7.25" OAL
1095 differentially heat treated blade 1/8" thick
heavy etched and lightly hand buffed finish
416 stainless bolsters blued and antiqued finish
mammoth ivory slabs and stainless pins with blued finish

photo3-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

He loves the knife so i am happy for him, i dont know for sure if am happy with all of it but i think that is more based on the knife not being a style i am familier with. this was the first knife i have ever completely finished then disasembled and etched the blade and blued the bolsters and then reassembled which was a challenge getting everything to fit back up tight. this was also my first try with hidden pins in the bolsters which was also a challenge but all in all i learned a lot and can apply the experince to future projects

thanks
steve

Very nicely done cross between American old timey and classical Sgian Dubh. I'll bet
he's happy with it!

This Scotsman would be proud to carry that ... dubh means black or hidden, so I like that you etched it and blued the bolsters. If I had to guess, most of my forebears carried one with bone handles and iron bolsters so you might not be far off from original. The popular design sold today is a dress version, but the knife itself hails back to a time when the sgian-dubh was specifically a holdout knife. Well done sir!

Thanks guys!!

Ya it was a interesting build. I had to grind the bolsters to match the contour of the mammoth ivory so i could keep as much of the detail in the ivory as possible. the ivory slabs were pretty thin so i didnt have a lot of room to work with, this made the bolsters kind of odd looking but in the end i think it adds even more to the rugged, old timey antique look. I tried to simulate a scaled or sawtooth design on the hamon and it came through pretty well on the side of the blade i show the profile of.

I had honestly never heard of this design of knife before but after messing with one i may have to build myself one for a hidden carry.

thanks
steve

Back