Some new Damascus Hatchets

I really like the lines of the second one. You'd be in a world of hurt to be on the receiving end of either one of these!

I was so scared I was gona botch up those multiple hollow grinds on the poles......not much room for error when you're hollow grinding with a 3/4" wheel! :)

After looking at them a bit I think #2 is my favorite. Each of those are lethal looking...at both ends. I can't decide which end I wouldn't want to be hit with the most...lol!

Funny you mention "which end I wouldn't want to be hit with the most"..... I've been waiting for the day the police show up at my shop and say "We found a guy with this stuck in him....and it's got your name on it!":what!:

Hopefully that never happens! :)

Ed,,,
Those are beautiful. I go along with the rest of them. No#2 is my favorite. Have you ever made a pipe hawk. That is on my bucket list. I was wondering. How large of a opening on a forge would be good to make something like that. I have a 3x2.5 on my forge. I tried to put my hatchet in it. I made it but had to turn it 45*. Also how large of a billet would you need to make for one of them? I wish you lived next door!! lol

Last edited:
I've made a number of Pipe Hawks over the years. There are a few challenges with pipe hawks that are not in the non-pipe variety, but with a little thought, it's not a big deal.

When it comes to the size of opening in a forge, that's always been a limiting factor that many don't think about when building a forge. The latest welding forge I built has a front opening that is 4 1/4" wide X 10" tall. I sized it to fit the width of a firebrick, and stack the bricks up in the opening to leave just enough room for whatever size billet I'm working on.

The majority of hatchets I make are from a billet size of 3/4" thick X 1 1/2" wide.....X 4-6" long (length depends on the specific hatchet design). When it comes to building throwing hawks, the billet size I start with is 3/4"x1". When it comes to forging, I tend to always make/use an initial billet that is larger then I think I need. My philosophy is..... I can always take material away if needed, but if there's not enough, I can never add any. :)

Back