Some more of my thoughts

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
We all know that there is a lot of information on the Internet.
We also know that there is a lot of miss-information on the Internet.
It is inevitable that there either is or will be miss-information on Knife Dogs.
I often either start threads or post on other's threads when I think that I have something to offer.
I try to be careful to only post correct information.
Others may disagree with the information I post.
If anyone disagrees with anything that I post I encourage that rebuttals be posted.
I am not encouraging arguments or distention but that either corrected information be posted or a broad diversity of opinions be expressed.
I feel like Poco has posted: If I have posted something that is not correct, correct me and I and others will learn. If incorrect information is posted and no one posts a rebuttal someone may harmed thereby or misinformation becomes accepted as fact.
No one wants that.
I only ask that when I am (or anyone else is) corrected or a differing opinion is posted that it be done respectfully and politely.
If a correction or a differing opinion is posted please provide the basis for that posted information.

I feel that this is important for all to know and adhere to.
I feel that this should be a "Sticky" on many, if not all, of the KD forums.

Last edited:
I am here because of the overall "tone" of the forum.

I retired early, and my present job is simply the manner I used to take a step back. Additionally, I have nothing to prove. In many ways I am the guy who reads a magazine, and finds out they ran that same article thirty years ago. I am very comfortable in old skin.

Being that guy, I need a forum that reflects this attitude. I'm tired of the in-fighting, the war stories (that probably never happened) and my bizarre belief that knives can also be used as 'tools.'

I'm looking for a 'site that has the feel of an old gunshop on a Saturday morning, replete with familiar faces and horrible coffee.

Good topic Wayne.

I try to to help newcomers to knifemaking. I am been making knives for seven years and I learned from some of the best but by no means do I know it all. My way is usually not the only way to something, maybe not even the best way. I often learn too when someone replies with a better way to do something.

Knifemaking is full of myths and legends. Some have become accepted simply because they were repeated often enough. It's a good thing to discuss them and maybe prompt someone to do a little more research.

This is just one of the many things I like about you folks;
you understand that the world is a multifaceted gem,and each and every one of us sees a different facet.
There are those who stare at just one facet,and swear that theirs is the ONLY point of view...
I've found that the Knife Community,by and large,
don't suffer from that malady of the Ego.
And,it's in sharing (diplomatically)our differing points of view,that we all grow.

I like your attitude Wayne and I think this is a good topic.

There is no need for anyone to get angry towards some one who is trying to help. At the same time the ones helping should do so in a good way.

I have been making knives off and on for many years and I like to help when I can, but that doesn't mean my advice is the best way and I hope not, but may sometimes be wrong. In that case I want to be corrected for the forum's sake....just be gentle.

This forum has become a big part of my life. I have enjoyed the family atmosphere and I have gleaned so much information from just about everyone here. I love to look at all the beautiful knives you all make. I would hate to see Knife Dogs turn out like some of the other forums I have been on.

I agree this topic should be addressed just to keep things running smoothly.

Larry

"I love to look at all the beautiful knives you all make."
Larry,I ain't the only one,but I sure love looking at your knives man;
your san mai?...stunning.
And,in the short time I've been here,I've seen that you,along with most of the others are the consummate Gentlemen.

No one is right all of the time.

The day I came to understand, that what I believe is not necessarily true, is the day it became easier for me to communicate with others.
I am right once in a while, but I am not right all of the time, neither is any one else.

Fred

Wayne,
I agree. I think that everyone is an expert of their own experience, and so I try and politely offer alternatives sometimes, if I can help or have another point of view. I think for the most part this board is leaps and bounds ahead of others in setting ground rules, and creating a positive place for everyone. Its quickly growing to be a mainstay for alot of folks.

Thanks to ALL of you for participating and making KD a great place.....

Larry

I agree with you all. This place is really refreshing to me. I'll try to uphold the high standards and be a good citizen of this forum.

Back