So close... But no cigar. Folding knife proof of concept.

Lyon

Hey all,

I have been working on my first folding knife and figured I would post it up.

Between figuring out how to do the "stuff" and getting my equipment up to par to get the quality I need I easily have 100 hrs into this. This next week I will learn how to do CAD drawing and modify my build with the changes that I need to make to get this knife where it needs to be. So keep an eye out for an epic WIP thread :3:.

I made a liner lock. What I did differently was the inner liner has a bearing pocket. I then made a hardened piece of metal that bolts to the inner liner. The blade and metal piece are then surface ground flat. The scale then has a hole drilled in it so the pivot bolt passes through it. The kicker is that the squeeze on the ball bearings is all on surface ground hardened metal. The theory is then that things will line up and run very smooth.

Some things that I need to change on version 2:

I am going to add a bolt to the front of the handle. On paper I was not sure if it would fit. Now that I have this done I know it will. This will allow me to do bolsters and get more rigidity which is needed.

I made the attachment of the rear spacer way to difficult. The 2 bolts for the pocket clip will simply go all the way through. Clean and simple :biggrin:

Lastly, things are largely unfinished as I want to put that time into the next knife so be gently on the finish quality. I am debating on the back side of the flipper tab as well so please ignore that too.

Blade and bearing plate steel: CPM S30V.
Everything else is titanium.

There are 42 holes, 10 bolts, 2 pins, and 1 pivot :biggrin:

IMG_20160422_184128_316.jpgIMG_20160422_144413_791.jpg

Back