Slip joint steel thickness?

Justin Presson

Hi guys,
I have only made one slip joint but going to try at another. What is the range of steel thickness you want to be in?
I have some .080 and .120 thick steel on hand and want to use it.
Just not sure if either is the best option but of the two which would be better. These are simply going to be prototypes.
Thanks in advance.
JP

Justin, are you talking about blade/backspring thickness? OR, liner thickness?

Personally I tend to like blades for my smaller "gentlemen's" (and ladies) slipjoints in the .090" range. I've made them from .080" to .098" blade thickness. If I start with .098" it will usually wind up around .095" by the time I've got a finished blade.

I’m with Ken. I use .110 because I use AEBL and I can usually only find it in .070 or .110 (and thicker)

By the time I’ve flattened the blades and springs on my granite plate and hand sanded them 234 times, the finished product is typically about .105-ish and even on my tiny little slipjoints that’s thin enough to yield a very fine edge and meaty enough at the spine to get a deep nail nick.

I've used in the .110-.120 range for what I would call an extra large slipjoint, but typically I like to start in the .090 to .100 range as others have mentioned. Given your two options, I'd probably lean towards the .080 for a smaller slipjoint, or I'd thin down the .120 a bit more.

Back