Skinner WIP - new pics

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
1/8 D2 ( I have a piece that I need to use) ... not sure about scales yet. Blade is 3.25” and handle is 4.125”. I put together a 42 second sketch this morning (prob 6:30 AM ish), super glued it to a bar of D2, then went angle grinder, 4 by 36, files, 4 by 36, files, then one last round on the 4 by 36. I have probably 4 hrs in it..... I’m trying to keep track. I don’t particularly love the design, but I wanted to put something together that’s simple, and
make maybe 4. I’m gonna tweak the next one a bit and see if y’all like it. Please critique. ZEEE014FF-2852-42ED-9795-D056EDB7E61E.jpeg

Last edited:
That is the quintesential hunter Kevin. The only thing I would do with a blade that width is lengthen it to 4 inches or narrow the blade down to have slightly more balance visually ---but that might be a perspective that is coloured by hunting and knife needs here in NZ

That is the quintesential hunter Kevin. The only thing I would do with a blade that width is lengthen it to 4 inches or narrow the blade down to have slightly more balance visually ---but that might be a perspective that is coloured by hunting and knife needs here in NZ
Wow! Thank you for the kind words. I actually have been playing around with some of the things you mentioned in your suggestions since my last pic. Those are terrific recommendations! Thank you!

I agree with Von in that the blade appears to be too short for the handle. Either make the handle shorter or stretch the blade longer ( if you can figure out how)!

Hahaha....that first one is the longest pic I've ever seen on any forum.

Personally, I don't take issue with the proportions.

Hahaha....that first one is the longest pic I've ever seen on any forum.

Personally, I don't take issue with the proportions.
Lol I’m doing everything from my phone which is probably why I’m having pic issues hahaha. I’ve only seen the site on a computer like twice tops. I’m sure I would be horrified by some of my pics if I saw them on a regular screen. Lol

I’m glad it seems ok to your eye. Plus I did tweak it a little bit.

I like the handle a lot. If the visual balance seems off to you when you get to the handle part I think you can play with the ricasso length a little (emphasis on a little) to help the visual balance again, if you see the need. I like it.

I had no intent to denigrate the handle length to blade length. It was more a case of the blade length within itself as a hunting knife for that blade width.
I felt the exact same way. I tinkered around with a little bit, just like Chris was describing. It kinda sorta came out ok. Handles are tricky for me. It’s so weird that a tiny change here or there can make the difference between looking ok and the garbage can.

I like the handle a lot. If the visual balance seems off to you when you get to the handle part I think you can play with the ricasso length a little (emphasis on a little) to help the visual balance again, if you see the need. I like it.
Thank you very much!

Back