Skinner Hawk

KelleyKnives

Hello All,
When I designed this tomahawk I was thinking of a tool that could be used while backpack hunting for elk. I wanted something that could serve as a skinner as well a hatchet and this is why the blade is ulu shaped. This tomahawk worked out very well and I was successful in taking both an elk and nice buck. Even though it wasn't used for skinning (sure it would've work well) it really excelled in breaking up bone and taking the rack off the skull. To keep the backpack weight down we didn't take a stove (seemed like a good idea at the time) and depended on fires for cooking which worked pretty good until a storm soaked everything. The Skinner Hawk did a great job splitting up wood and get in at the dry stuff to get a good fire going making fire starting much easier. A large knife would have also worked but I think the hawk out performed the knife.

It intended the Skinner Hawk have an old but well taken care of look with a primitive attachment. The bit is forged from 1095 and the hand is Koa wood and the combination weights about the same a Bowie. I now have a tomahawk drift punch and working to make a railroad spike hawk. I'm new to making tomahawks and wonder what you makers start with? Has anyone used 3/4" re-bar to make a hawk? The steel may be a little soft but should make a great thrower.
Thanks,
Kelley Ward

Attachments

• SkinnerHawk4.jpg
    SkinnerHawk4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 171
Hello Dwane,
This type of Hawk is relativly easy to make and is a great tool in the field. Hope you make one soon they are fun. Thanks for the complement.
Kelley

Kelley that is a great looking Hawk. I think you have achieved what you set out to do with the looks.

Hello Pieter,
Thanks, I really like an old rustic but taken care of look but also make more refined and polished knives.
Kelley

Back