Show us your grinder.

Justin Presson

I thought about this as I was reading Abotts thread about building his grinder.

I thought we could post up pictures of our grinders as this is probably the most important tool in a knife makers shop. Explain what make and model, home built or store bought and maybe what you do or don't like about it. This could become the new thread that we can refer people to when they ask.....what grinder should I buy. Plus I like seeing other peoples grinder set ups, sometimes sparks new ideas for our own.

When I go down to the shop tonight I will take pictures of mine and post them up but wanted to get this on the board before I forgot.

JP

oF5dJhm.jpg
uF4HunU.jpg
z4fiYkI.jpg

This is my 2x72 grinder. It is a Wilmont LB1000. I purchased it probably 5 years ago used. It came with a fixed speed motor, since then I have purchased a new 1 hp motor and kbac 24 VFD for it. I have a DD extreme tilt work rest and and small wheel attachment.
I like the extra slot for tooling arm makes switching to the flat platen and small wheel easy. I also mounted it to this plywood so I can tilt it to run horizontal, which is great for the small wheel attachment.
It tracks good, compact size and all around has been a solid little grinder. One thing I do want to upgrade is the flat platen. It is only 6" and I find I could use a longer platen. I would also like to change the two small wheels on the platen to contact wheels.
I'm also going to take it off this rolling cart at some point and make a new bench for it.

There is mine to get the ball rolling.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I'm not at the shop but have a picture I snapped the other day for some reason. Could probably get some better ones but.. there's a KMG in there somewhere which is my main bevel grinder. Never really used any work rests on my 2x72s. I do use one on the disc sometimes.

20190326_141042-2016x1512.jpg

See Moe's Grinder on the Grinders and DVD pages of my web-site.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

C. Killgore that is a nice set up! I like your little stands that is what I need to build for mine. I used to have my grinder at our old house in the garage and would wheel it out on the EKG cart my wife got from work. Also something I desperately need is Lighting!!

You an all laugh if you want but with wooden 18 inch grinder wheels it works. I did not build it but have used it for the last 11?years.

Attachments

• 8C45A7A0-3692-4349-858C-4561D247668D.jpeg
    8C45A7A0-3692-4349-858C-4561D247668D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 216F4BFE-0FDA-46C9-BEEB-5B7733863921.jpeg
    216F4BFE-0FDA-46C9-BEEB-5B7733863921.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
I have a Pheer 454 with flat platen. 2 HP with a 6" drive wheel. I have a small wheel attachment with 1/2", 3/4" and 1" rubber wheels.

This thing is smooth running, with excellent tracking. The tool rest leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't use a rest that often.

I upgraded to the Lenze AC Tech VFD.

Here’s mine. GIB grinder from polar bear forge. 1.5 hp Baldor motor. KB 27d VFD. My main complaint is the tracking arm set up. No matter how tight you get the bolt there’s still a tiny little bit of play in the arm. I also don’t need the second tooling arm slot which I didn’t know at the time. I also don’t like how the top tooling arm slot is offset from the bottom one wish they were straight on top of each other.

F919DE99-A50A-49A4-88BA-35028F35CDEF.jpeg34F41E29-1937-4509-9FD0-C5AF7C73F717.jpeg

Here's my grinder. Completely home built. 1 OMP. (old man powered) 0 volts (just an occasional meal) unlimited grinding and sanding abilities (till old man gets tired) Base grinder uses Nicholson files (usually from garage sales, however always on the lookout from ebay) Sanding unit consists of exotic and very rare junkus pinus wood. sanding medium is special order from a specialty supplier of sanding medium called lowes specialty sanding medium supplier store. No wonky drive wheels or user unfriendly adjustments. Also, completely portable and all components are user replaceable.
These units are no longer available to the public (Thank goodness! )

Attachments

• DSC01304.JPG
    DSC01304.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01305.JPG
    DSC01305.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 17
Gene I am completely stealing your little tool arm holder.

Mike, no laughing here I think it's cool and I have seen your knives so you can obviously grind. So is it a wooden. Wheel with rubber coating?

Yes wooden that has been balanced with a 1/4 inch hard rubber coating. That is my main grinder for hollow grinding. I have a double disc grinder to flatten that is homebuilt. My Square Wheel is 27 years old. I also have a Jerry Braggs 10 inch that was built in the 70s with a 3 groove pulley. I leave it running about 800 RPM.

My grinder is one I built and have improved on till it is about all I could ask of it now. 2 hp 3 ph motor with VFD to run the 6 inch drive wheel for 3400sfpm.
q0FObD5l.jpg

This is with the flat platen installed and the short work rest. The other work rest is about 2 feet long, topped with 1 mill micaarta and is used exclusivey for the aluminium grinding guides.
IMG_20190331_122852.jpg

Built a tree stand to take the too heads although the two work rests sit on a stool to the left of the grinder under the buffer and disc sander platform. Only carry 60, 120 and 220 Zirc belts and 220 450 and 600 in the trizac
EqKjnMtl.jpg

12 inch wheel
P1rrACul.jpg

My smaller dia wheels has this 4 inch hardwood on one side and a 1 1/4 inch on the other side of the same arm. I have not needed any other radiuses so these two will do for me. The top wheel on the platen is a 2 inch rubber one so can also be used to work off if needs be.
trBfAe1l.jpg

6d3VBeyl.jpg

This is my slack belt set-up where I have 6 inch between the wheels for firmer and above the wheels for less aggressive sanding
nxwISlDl.jpg

I'm getting some great ideas for storage from you guys. Trying to figure out where to put everything in a small shop is always a challenge.

Back