Shop Tour

John Wilson

Here's a very low quality, zero production value video for anyone who has nothing to do and needs to waste a few minutes of their life. We always talk about shop layouts and how we set up our shop based on our individual processes. For those of us with very small shops ( (TM) Ted Hauser) it becomes a bit of a Tetris game to fit in everything we need without having to climb over and around gear to work. I'm very happy with my layout. It's one half of a two car garage, and has to serve all of my projects outside of knifemaking as well.

I apologize for the poor sound and shaky video. It's just a quick cell phone video.

Great video and shop tour John, and I'll bet it gets as hot in there as it does in mine across the pond in the summer!
man you ain’t kidding. about 110° and 127% humidity! that air conditioner can’t begin to cool it, but it sure is nice to have it blowing on me from two feet away. Remember back when they put windows in garages so you could get some cross breeze?

Thanks John. I'm in half a garage just like you are. Your tour gave me some pointers on changing a few things. Very helpful.
If I can ever get out there and actually do some work that is. Life keeps getting in the way.

What was the name of the cutting fluid that you mentioned, please? I didn't catch, but would like to. Thanks!

Nice shop. Compact, "efficiencied" like mad. The OCD in me loves it. Thanks for sharing.

What was the name of the cutting fluid that you mentioned, please? I didn't catch, but would like to. Thanks!

Nice shop. Compact, "efficiencied" like mad. The OCD in me loves it. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!

the cutting lubricant is called Boelube. (Boeing aircraft created their own lubricant.. ergo Boe-Lube). It’s a paste compound that you run your drill bit into and it sticks to the bit. When the drill bit creates heat the paste melts directly at the hot spot. It works amazingly well and creates no mess or odors. It actually helps in drilling more accurately sized holes. John Doyle here turned me on to it and I can’t recommend it enough.

Thank you!

the cutting lubricant is called Boelube. (Boeing aircraft created their own lubricant.. ergo Boe-Lube). It’s a paste compound that you run your drill bit into and it sticks to the bit. When the drill bit creates heat the paste melts directly at the hot spot. It works amazingly well and creates no mess or odors. It actually helps in drilling more accurately sized holes. John Doyle here turned me on to it and I can’t recommend it enough.

Thank you, John. I ordered a jar.

Enjoyed that! Nice nod to KD members. I'll be checking out your other vid's some time, too.

Do you find it hard to do your heat treating that close to the floor? My tempering oven is low to the ground. A couple winters ago I tried to use a wood stove on the ground outside. It was/is a bear getting up and down for just a couple of knives. The reason I ask is I was trying to think of a fire safe solution for tempering and still keep it indoors.

Having the oven down low isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I’m used to it now. Keep in mind that I don’t heat treat every day. If I was going in there constantly I’d probably put it up higher. But I can use it this way with no problems at all.

Back