Shop tip: profile patterns out of xray film

Jeff Conti

I didn't notice a forum area for shop tips so "shop talk" seemed best. I was laying out 3 knives tonight using my favorite method and thought about you guys... uh oh.

Draw your design on paper cut to within 1/4 inch or so of the profile, spray the back with 3m multipurpose spray adhesive. Wait a minute or two and lay the paper down on XRAY film or similar thin (cut it with household scissors) type of plastic. I'm not sure if the old transparency plastic would work but you could give it a try. Smooth out the paper and cut it out with scissors. You can locate and punch your holes with a leather hole punch. when I lay out my profile on steel, my carbide scribe cuts deep and I can press hard against the xray film since it is very rigid. Also, I can make notes on the paper.

As for getting xray film... that might be tricky since most DR offices recycle the film (to get the silver from the xray exposure). But asking your Doc might do the trick. One sheet (chest xray size) lasts a heck of a long time!!!

Enjoy

Good luck

Back