Shop humor

opaul

Sometimes it’s just easier to laugh at our stupidity than get riled up.
I keep a slurry bucket under the grinder. When I change arms to use the small wheel I almost always drop the wheel in the slurry bucket when I remove the belt. You would think I’d know better by now. I don’t particularly like digging around in the bucket for wheels or bolts.
So I just shake my head and laugh at myself.

What is your shop self humor.

I set my britches on fire with a 4 1/2 grinder. :)
LOL, I got that tee shirt too! Wife was walking the dog near the shop, she says, "you come running out of there like something was after you slapping yourself in the groin yelling "Hot,Hot!" She starts laughing and says, "that's it baby, blow your own horn if no one else will!"
Five years later she will walk by and yell, "hot, hot", and laugh her head off. Personally, I didn't find it amusing. :(.
Well, it kinda is..., .

Yeah I hate dropping things in that bucket!
I would rather drop them in the bucket than have them fly under the bench where they often disapare never to be seen again.
I have heard it said, and experienced it, that the importance of something rests in the ability of replacing it WHEN it gets dropped and roles under the bench -- and there is no humor in that.

So a long time ago my wife and I were watching some emergency medical show that showed some poor guy that got his finger caught in a machine and it gloved his finger.A couple weeks later I was out in the shop working on a big belt sander and I looked over and the bones from a fox tail were laying by my trash can.I had been out predator hunting the day before and had gotten a fox.If you have ever seen the bone structure of a fox tail especially the fat end were its attached to the rump you can imagine that the bones and tendons look very much like a human finger with no skin.I grabbed it and cut it off aproxamently the length of my middle finger.I then cupped it in my left hand and placed my right hand in my left hand as if I was holding a injured right hand finger with my left hand and went into the house and told my wife that I got my hand in the sander and I think I gloved my finger.She rushed me to the bathroom yelled at the kids to get ready to go as we would be taking dad to the hospital. Then she said let me see it at which point I opened my hand. She screamed O my God and passed out.I was in the dog house for a long time after that stunt. Then a few months later I actually ran my thumb through the bandsaw. Ran in the house for help and she just laughed at me and said you won't get me again with that joke.I let go of my thumb and blood started pouring and she passed out. Had to bring her around with smelling salts before I could get her to drive me to the hospital .

So a long time ago my wife and I were watching some emergency medical show that showed some poor guy that got his finger caught in a machine and it gloved his finger.A couple weeks later I was out in the shop working on a big belt sander and I looked over and the bones from a fox tail were laying by my trash can.I had been out predator hunting the day before and had gotten a fox.If you have ever seen the bone structure of a fox tail especially the fat end were its attached to the rump you can imagine that the bones and tendons look very much like a human finger with no skin.I grabbed it and cut it off aproxamently the length of my middle finger.I then cupped it in my left hand and placed my right hand in my left hand as if I was holding a injured right hand finger with my left hand and went into the house and told my wife that I got my hand in the sander and I think I gloved my finger.She rushed me to the bathroom yelled at the kids to get ready to go as we would be taking dad to the hospital. Then she said let me see it at which point I opened my hand. She screamed O my God and passed out.I was in the dog house for a long time after that stunt. Then a few months later I actually ran my thumb through the bandsaw. Ran in the house for help and she just laughed at me and said you won't get me again with that joke.I let go of my thumb and blood started pouring and she passed out. Had to bring her around with smelling salts before I could get her to drive me to the hospital .
Not a good move to do that to wives as we still have to live with them and sleep on occasions.

That story is going to be hard to beat.

Sometimes it’s just easier to laugh at our stupidity than get riled up.
I keep a slurry bucket under the grinder. When I change arms to use the small wheel I almost always drop the wheel in the slurry bucket when I remove the belt. You would think I’d know better by now. I don’t particularly like digging around in the bucket for wheels or bolts.
So I just shake my head and laugh at myself.

What is your shop self humor.
I've done that so many times................. now I put a dab of heavy grease on the outside of the bearing to keep it in the tooling arm. I really laugh at myself when I start talking out loud like someone else is there. The day someone answers I know it will be time to go too the loony bin!

I have a dust collection intake funnel directly under my grinder’s platen/wheel. I am rarely using a tool rest. When shaping handle scales I cannot count the pins that fall and get sucked into the sust collection water trap bucket. I’m ashamed to admit how many times I had to fish for a mosaic pin. Other pins- who cares. But an inch of mosaic pin is like watching a $5 bill get sucked away!

Now I have “working pins” that I use.

I have a similar story but not the exact problem. Often I go to the shop in a descent shirt not expecting to do any real work. I get side track and end up with another shop shirt. I have a lot more shop shirts than good shirts now.
That is my experience with "good clothes" as well. I do have a full leather apron but often forget to put it on and more so when I am just going there to get something and end up playing for a while.
I do have a second pair of glasses in the shed and leave the case on the bench where the phone and coffee cup go so I will change them if I am going to be grinding or cutting out blades. My good glasses are trifocal progressives lightweight lenses (read expensive) so I got a second pair with simple bifocal lenses for the shed use. I have ruined a set of lenses before by using the cut off discs in the angle grinder and getting burn or gouge marks on the lenses

I've done that so many times................. now I put a dab of heavy grease on the outside of the bearing to keep it in the tooling arm. I really laugh at myself when I start talking out loud like someone else is there. The day someone answers I know it will be time to go too the loony bin!

Been there done that but I have started answering my own questions

Back