Sheath Question

Kevin Zito

KNIFE MAKER
Hey folks! Is there a general rule of thumb for sheath to OAL of knife ratio. I know that this number would NOT be set in stone as the sheath is dependent on blade length and so on. I'm only asking for a general idea. That is, if a knife (drop point hunter) is 9 inches long with a 4.5 inch handle, and 4.5 inch blade, would a 7 inch be okay? 6? Basically, how much handle should stick out of sheath to look halfway decent? Thanks!

I have settled on about half the handle Kevin but I hot wax the sheath so it is a firm hold on the knife for secirity. It really depends on how you configure the sheath whether it is a pouch type or otherwise. A looser fit in the sheath may need a deeper fit if it has no other form of security that the depth of the sheath. You will see many a kydex sheath that has only about an inch of cover over the handle as the knife almost clicks into secure position when in the sheath and my hot waxing will give a similar fit and feel. You need a reasonable amount of handle above the leather for ease of retreival if you dont have a lanyard and I am not in favour of them as a rule.
The other aspect of the "equation" is that a nicely figured wood handle for eg may show of the promise of its appeal with more of it apearing above the leather where a deeply sheathed knife will hide so much more. JMO though

I think of it as Von Gruff said.

One way to figure it out for your self is strap a fixed knife with sheath and tote it all day, on a day you will using the knife repeatedly ! I have had occasion to use one that I could only grab the last inch or so of the handle. I have a utility knife that came with a case. A while back I had an occasion to strap it on my side and use it all day! Only the last 1 1/2" sticks out of that sheath. By the end of the day I was cussing that sheath everytime I reached the knife!! After doing that all day it can get aggravating to say the least!!

Thanks for the comments guys. I understand completely. I'm definitely gonna hot wax the sheath, and since I've never had a hot waxed sheath, I may have to try it more than once to get the feel of the fit.

When you are "thumb boning" the leather to the knife you want to give it a slightly lees than tight fit then put it asside to get cold. I have put them in the freezer for 20-30 seconds and you can do a check fit. It is still possible to loosen the fit by squeezing the fold closer to the welt or tighten it by pressing the sides together. It will then hold this shape but once you have done one or two like this you learn how to make it right with the initial boning.

When you are "thumb boning" the leather to the knife you want to give it a slightly lees than tight fit then put it asside to get cold. I have put them in the freezer for 20-30 seconds and you can do a check fit. It is still possible to loosen the fit by squeezing the fold closer to the welt or tighten it by pressing the sides together. It will then hold this shape but once you have done one or two like this you learn how to make it right with the initial boning.
Thanks Gruff! I'm nervous about doing my first one, but I ordered the materials yesterday!

Back