Scroll templates, learning to draw

Sam Salvati

I have been practicing and playing with engravings and gravers, wanted to try some more traditional looking stuff, and also wanted to learn how to do scroll work. Ordered the scroll templates from NGraver, it's a very cool system that allows you to draw scrolls right from the templates, but in a sort of half-way, so there's spots for you to fill in. And it doesn't do it for you either, it shows you things but not how to use them, so you have to learn to build and place each one. Very cool to say the least, I highly recommend them.

Just couple hours messing around

Lagrange

Interesting stuff. So your interested in engraving... how far are you along? I'd be interested in how much of an investment there is in starting out engraving.

Sam Salvati

I took a class at Peter's Valley, offered by the NC black folks. fast forward a bit later, and i tried my hand at making some gravers and trying out BIG thick engraving like carving. Angles on my cutters are not set to anything specific, just playing. Gonna get some jigs setup for grinding and sharpening to remove inconsistent angles on my gravers as a variable. so far I am about 50$ into it haha.

Lagrange

Sam, you have to keep this updated to let us know how you progress. There is serious buisness for someone with engraving skills.
I was thinking of doing a knife to raffle for our local volunteer fire department. Some engraving would be a great addition to something like that.