Science of Carbon Fiber

RAGUEL3

Every lil while the sheer volume of info in my head runs out of room to be stored and I have to let some out,lol... hope somebody who DIDNT know, learns and enjoys.

Raw Materials
The raw material used to make carbon fiber is called the precursor. About 90% of the carbon fibers produced are made from polyacrylonitrile. The remaining 10% are made from rayon or petroleum pitch. All of these materials are organic polymers, characterized by long strings of molecules bound together by carbon atoms. The exact composition of each precursor varies from one company to another and is generally considered a trade secret.

During the manufacturing process, a variety of gases and liquids are used. Some of these materials are designed to react with the fiber to achieve a specific effect. Other materials are designed not to react or to prevent certain reactions with the fiber. As with the precursors, the exact compositions of many of these process materials are considered trade secrets.
The Manufacturing
Process
The process for making carbon fibers is part chemical and part mechanical. The precursor is drawn into long strands or fibers and then heated to a very high temperature with-out allowing it to come in contact with oxygen.
Without oxygen, the fiber cannot burn. Instead, the high temperature causes the atoms in the fiber to vibrate violently until most of the non-carbon atoms are expelled. This process is called carbonization and leaves a fiber composed of long, tightly inter-locked chains of carbon atoms with only a few non-carbon atoms remaining.
Here is a typical sequence of operations used to form carbon fibers from polyacrylonitrile.

Spinning
Acrylonitrile plastic powder is mixed with another plastic, like methyl acrylate or methyl methacrylate, and is reacted with a catalyst in a conventional suspension or solution polymerization process to form a polyacrylonitrile plastic.
The plastic is then spun into fibers using one of several different methods. In some methods, the plastic is mixed with certain chemicals and pumped through tiny jets into a chemical bath or quench chamber where the plastic coagulates and solidifies into fibers. This is similar to the process used to form polyacrylic textile fibers. In other methods, the plastic mixture is heated and pumped through tiny jets into a chamber where the solvents evaporate, leaving a solid fiber. The spinning step is important because the internal atomic structure of the fiber is formed during this process.
The fibers are then washed and stretched to the desired fiber diameter. The stretching helps align the molecules within the fiber and provides the basis for the formation of the tightly bonded carbon crystals after carbonization.

Stabilizing
Before the fibers are carbonized, they need to be chemically altered to convert their linear atomic bonding to a more thermally stable ladder bonding. This is accomplished by heating the fibers in air to about 390-590° F (200-300° C) for 30-120 minutes. This causes the fibers to pick up oxygen molecules from the air and rearrange their atomic bonding pattern. The stabilizing chemical reactions are complex and involve several steps, some of which occur simultaneously. They also generate their own heat, which must be controlled to avoid overheating the fibers. Commercially, the stabilization process uses a variety of equipment and techniques. In some processes, the fibers are drawn through a series of heated chambers. In others, the fibers pass over hot rollers and through beds of loose materials held in suspension by a flow of hot air. Some processes use heated air mixed with certain gases that chemically accelerate the stabilization.

These filaments are stranded into a yarn. Carbon fiber yarn is rated by the linear density (weight per unit length = 1 g/1000 m = tex) or by number of filaments per yarn count, in thousands. For example 200 tex for 3K (3,000 filaments) carbon fiber is 3 times as strong as 1K carbon fiber, but is also 3 times as heavy. This thread can then be used to waeve a carbon fiber filament fabric or cloth. The appearance of this fabric generally depends on the linear density of the yarn and the weave chosen. Carbon fiber is naturally a glossy black but recently colored carbon fiber has become available.

Next time - Micarta.

Last edited:
interesting. that isn't at all how I thought it was made.

There are other methods Boss,.. but this is fairly common one for high density stuff.

So,.. too boring for Shop Talk?,or should I do ones on the other common laminates ?

Raguel3,

Don't think I'll be trying any home spun carbon fiber anytime soon, LOL but this is a very interesting post nevertheless.

Keep'em comming and thanks for sharing your knowledge !

Josh

Actually the process of turning it from it's cloth form into what most people think of as "carbon fiber" (like blocks made for knife scales) is identical to that of making micarta - for instance the denim micarta "how to" will translate over perfectly. The main difference is that you would use carbon cloth instead of denim. There are other epoxies/casting resins that may work better for carbon than the polyester variety used in that tutorial, but even the plain old "bondo" type glass (poly) will work.

I have about 30 yards of twill that I may start turning into plates/scales soon so I'll try to make a tutorial of it. I also have some carbon/kevlar twill that would make an interesting scale.

Thank you for the great explanation. I think I actually understood all of it. And thanks for the follow up, JMDesigns.

Happy to be of service,.. :) Micarta one coming next week,.. and G10 to follow that one. Mainly Im just trying to help folks who HAVENT had a lot of experience with these types of laminates understand more of what goes into the making of them.

Back