Saved from disaster, almost/ I love Red Mallee Burl

Travis Fry

I just finished another, and it fought me the whole way. I lost about 1/2 inch from the tip during heat treat (don't ask). It was one of my first hollow ground blades, which makes polishing a lot more difficult. And when I was drilling holes for the bolsters, the bit wobbled and I ended up with a little grove through the back side. I thought it would remain invisible, but no such luck. Much swearing was done by all. I managed to fill the hole partially with solder, but couldn't get it all. The rest is sealed with glue. Other than everything bad that happened, this might otherwise be my best knife ever.

By the way, Red Mallee burl is amazing stuff. I'll never buy redwood burl again as long as Red Mallee is available. I got this from Rob at Bad Dogs Burl Source, who I couldn't recommend more highly.

Here she is:

20121116-IMG_5092.jpg

And here's one that shows the wood. I love this stuff:

20121116-IMG_5120.jpg

Last edited:
Its nice to know that there are others out there who encounter difficulties from time to time. I personally would have re-made the bolster when I discovered the problem with the hole...but maybe you have a reason to use it. In all, it came out very well.

Gorgeouos wood and great lines. Hunt out some of the Yellow Mallee too - it's a favourite of mine.

I think I agree with Eric that the bolster should be remade but if you're happy to sell it as it that's fine. It certainly won't affect function.

It wasn't apparent that the bolster would turn out like it would until I had already glued up and mostly shaped the handle. Otherwise I'd have re-done it too. Thanks guys for the kind words. A happy customer bought it today at a significantly reduced price, fully aware of the flaw.

Nice lines and I like that double bolster look.
I have a few blocks of the Malee burl, the stuff is dense and reminds me of a hard plastic whenever I'm looking it over. I'm using it on a larger hidden tang knife and it works nice.

Rudy

Back