Sanding Sticks now Available!

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
We've added a second machine to make the sanding sticks, so once Tim gets it in order and running correctly, we should be able to keep up with having them in stock.

Just keep an eye on KnifeMakerTraining.com....... I know Tim will have them up on the site as quickly as they are completed.

luciusx5

Tried to purchase a sanding stick through your website. When I click on "I Want This" nothing happens. Tried in two different browsers. Firefox and Chrome.
Let me know what I need to do to purchase one. Thanks!!

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
I talked to Tim....he said he sent you an email with instructions. Also, be aware that if you have a pop-up blocker active on your browser, that will keep the purchase window from opening. If this happens in the future or to anyone else, disable the pop-up blocker in your browser, and it should work!

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Thanks Rick! Tim and I are filming more videos today, and during a break he checked his phone and saw your order! He said..... "Do you know a Rick Otts?" My reply was "Yep! He's a Great Guy from Knifedogs!" :)

If I know Tim, he'll have it headed your way asap!

John Wilson

That sanding stick looks very very cool. I really like the idea of wrapping a whole strip around it. It saves a ton of paper (over time) and the thickness of the paper layers ought to accomplish what I've been using a leather strip for.

Casey Brown

Just tried it out. Really like it. Good flat surface to sand with. Question, though. The "bottom", or short, edge appears to have somewhat of a texture to it. Do you still sand with that side, or just use the 2 smooth, larger surfaces?

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
I use all the "sides"... what I've found is that the "side" your talking about works especially well when you're down to 1 or 2 wraps of paper left. I actually asked Tim if he could make all the sides with that texture....but turns out the texture is just a by product of how things are oriented when he makes the sticks. I also use the "points" of the triangle for getting into tight areas....especially the plunge cuts.

Casey Brown

I'm actually trying to refinish an old knife for a friend. It was his grandfather's knife, and had gotten rather pitted. However, it has a hollow grind that corresponds to a 12" wheel. I had to make some cardboard models to determine which fit. I had to create a makeshift hollow grind sanding stick to try to sand the hollow grind portion. Used the cardboard model to draw a profile on a piece of 2x4 board, and then cut and sanded the end to match the profile. It's working, and matches the hollow grind profile on the knife, but is not near as easy to hand sand as flats. I started out using 400 grit, but have found that I am just not removing enough to start smoothing out the surface. May have to adjust down to a 120 or 220 to start out, then work my way back up through the higher grits.

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
Funny you talk about that..... Tim has been trying to produce some "hollow" grinding sanding sticks, but he just can't nail down the radius with the 3D printer.... the radius portion of the sticks keeps coming out every so slightly "jagged" along the radius. He did have one successful run, but it took nearly 20 hours to print a single 12" radius stick..... I don't think he's going to produce them, and least not at the moment, because he'd have to sell them for a crazy sum to make any money on them.

Funny you talk about that..... Tim has been trying to produce some "hollow" grinding sanding sticks, but he just can't nail down the radius with the 3D printer.... the radius portion of the sticks keeps coming out every so slightly "jagged" along the radius. He did have one successful run, but it took nearly 20 hours to print a single 12" radius stick..... I don't think he's going to produce them, and least not at the moment, because he'd have to sell them for a crazy sum to make any money on them.
Perhaps make a sanding form to finish the stick? Actually sand the final shape on...might not take too long even if the printer makes the edges jagged. The "average" shape is still there....

EdCaffreyMS

Forum Owner - Moderator
We'd thought about that, and I did attempt it on a couple.... the problem is that I'm terribly anal when it comes to things being "right". In this case, the printer puts the correct radius on the sticks, but with the "jaggies"......and when you clean up the "jaggies" on the grinder, the radius is no longer correct. Tim and I have chased it up and down, and even printed a couple that were oversized, hoping to have "room" for taking them down to the intended radius.... but it still doesn't come out right. Tim says he thinks he's gona shelf the idea until we can afford a higher level 3D printer. I have to agree with Tim in this case....when you're selling them for less than $20, and just by their nature, they are a consumable item, it's just not economical to spend a ton of hand time on them.