Rust inhibitors???

DiverTexas

Anyone here ever use them?

I built a display case for my knives and started putting them in it last night.

I pulled out the last Damascus from it's sheath and it was covered with surface rust. I know I probably shouldn't have left it stored in the sheath, but never dreamed it would have rust on it from only a month or so in the sheath. I don't know how moisture could have gotten into the sheath as it was in the house, but somehow it did. :mad:

Second question, does 01 have the potential to rust after it has been heat treated?

I know the cut off pieces from the few I've ground tend to rust rather quickly, but will they still rust after the heat treating?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I use mineral oil while I am working on the knives and if they will be used within a reasonable amount of time. If I am going to set one aside for a while I use briwax on them. And yes O1 will rust after heat treatment.

A few years ago I was introduced to a product called "Corrosion X". I've found that it works on EVERYTHING that has a potential to rust. My platoon sergeant brought a can on a field exercise a Ft. Chaffee the summer of '03. Prior to going to the field we sprayed down our platoon's M-2s (Browning .50 cal machinegun) and let them set for about 10 minutes prior to wiping them down.

When we came out of the field about two weeks later all of the other platoons spent hours cleaning the orange surface rust from thier M-2s while we just re-applied the Corrosion X and wiped the surface of ours down while cleaning them. Needless to say, our platoon was finished cleaning and storing all of our weapons and gear and heading out for a "cold one" while the other platoons were still scrubbing down thier weapon systems. The stuff works great on blades or firearms. After meeting my wife (who is a certified airplane mechanic) I found that alot of aircraft service operations use Corrosion X to protect the aircarfats structure from corrosion. I've also found that alot of guys near the coast use it to protects various boat parts from salt water corrosion.

Second question, does 01 have the potential to rust after it has been heat treated?

Yes!

I've found a soak in vinegar forces a nice patina and works well at preventing rust as the surface already has an oxide layer on it.

Thanks gentlemen, lot's of good info here.
Now I just need to figure out how to get this surface rust off of the Damascus.

Something to remember about leather is that it will hold moisture to an extent. So it's not that your sheath got exposed to moisture, it was likely already there, perhaps from the dye/forming processes.

And as has been said, O1 will rust pretty quickly when not cared for. I've also found patina's will slow that down. I use RemOil's rust protection, and it works great.

--nathan

I go to Kenny Rowe's shop a lot because it's like 20 miles from here but anyway. when he gets a knife in for someone to make a sheath for he coats them with Ballistol. He makes sheathes for a great deal of makers out there a lot of MS and JS not to mention the Busse crowd. He said that he has never had any rust on any knife he put it on. He handles hundreds of high end knives a year. That sold me right then and there. Not to mention it's biodegradable and non carcinogenic, designed before WWI as a weapons lube and protectant, it stinks to high heven but works like hell
Rusty

Years ago when I first started making knives I bought some leather at a flea market. What a mistake that was since it had been tanned with a very corrosive tanning agent.

I have had good luck with paste waxes to stop corrosion. Min Wax or Johnson's has always worked for me although I have bought Renaissance Wax at 3 times the price as the first two I mentioned and still haven't been able to figure out why is so much more expensive. There must be some hidden gold in it. :D

A new trick I learned at the last knife show I did was how to remove the spittle spots that mysteriously show up on the blades. A quick spray with window cleaner followed by a quick wipe sure does the trick.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Technologies-CorrosionX-Lubricant-Penetrant/dp/B0009GYRWW"]Amazon.com: Corrosion Technologies - CorrosionX Lubricant/Penetrant, 16 oz. Trigger Spray (91002): Automotive[/ame]

Back