Rounded plunge line question.

Mark Barone

My plunge lines tend to be almost 90 degrees. I know if I hang the belt over a bit it should give it a bit of a radius. I have yet to achieve it. maybe I’m not hanging it over enough and. Any tips?

I do it all the time.... my advice for the amount of belt to hang over is..... twice as much as you think you need.

Also, if you don't already, always start a grinding pass in the middle of the blade. Lay the blade on with very light pressure in the middle, go back to the plunge, and when you reach it, THEN you apply whatever pressure and torque you need... then make a complete grinding pass.... and repeat, repeat, repeat until you done. I always stress making complete grinding passes because if you get fixated on a given area, that's usually when things go wrong. ;)

Last edited:
I do it all the time.... my advice for the amount of belt to hang over is..... twice as much as you think you need.

Also, if you don't already, always start a grinding pass in the middle of the blade. Lay the blade on with very light pressure in the middle, go back to the plunge, and when you reach it, THEN you apply whatever pressure and torque you need... then make a complete grinding pass.... and repeat, repeat, repeat until you done. I always stress making complete grinding passes because if you get fixated on a given area, that's usually when thing go wrong. ;)

ThanksI will definitely try that technique Ed. As far as the pressure on the plunge one. I still keep the blade parallel to the belt right. I don’t “lean” into it to get that curve.? Also I should know this... so as I get to the point, Do I twist the jig back a bit or just stay at that curve longer so the bevel climbs up higher. I’m not sure I am explaining it clearly. It seems when I pull the jig/blade back a bit on the opposite side, I dig into the point and burn it .

Last edited:
You don't want to turn and dig at the plunge because you'll end up thinning the whole area in front of the plunge. Stay parallel and kinda bump into it a couple times and make sure the belt is rolling over. J flex belts btw.

I find when rough grinding with ceramic belts the plunge is pretty sharp.......as the grit gets finer use a lighter backed finishing belt and they flex quite well and produce a great radius...as ed says don't be shy about how much you track it over.....on thicker blades as much as 1/4 inch is common...

Back