Rotary platen

If you and I are on the same page, I think you put it in place of your standard flat platen, they stagger the 2 platen wheels (One is smaller than the other) and they mount the whole thing on a rod on the work arm. By loosening the bolt that holds the rod you can rotate the platen from a flat platen to a small wheel, to the larger wheel (staggered wheels on the platen), or flip it over for slack belt grinding. Saves changing your tool arm for various operations. Hope this makes sense?

Are you talking about the Moen Works Rotary Cooled Platen? If so, you need to go to Jerry's page and check out his video. I don't own one (too expensive for me) but it is pretty awesome in the ability to take a blade to the very fine grits (9 micron) without the belt bumps.

I was a tester for the original rotary platen that Beaumount makes, and still have it hanging by the grinders, but I rarely use it. It really shines when doing anything convex, which is it's intended use. When used with very light pressures, it creates a smoother finish then one would expect for a given belt grit.

Personally, I don't use it enough to justify buying one, but as with everything that Beaumount offers, it's very well built and made to last.

Back