Rope/Strap Knife

SC_Knives

Hot off of the bench

A local bull fighter approached me this summer to come up with a knife to cut loose hung up bull riders. Spent about a month designing and testing out different prototypes, and this one is the best one so far. The reverse loop is 7/8" wide and is dulled by the finger groove to pretend accidental cuts.

Still have some work to do on them to get them rodeo ready, but I'm happy with it so far.

RP.jpg

Just a suggestion, but I would probably dull the point on the end of the hook as well, if the goal is to produce a "safety" cutter.

A question though: Why make this only a two finger grip? Why not a full grip? Chances are if a rider and/or bull is hung up enough to require deployment of such a tool, you're gonna want as good of a grip as you can get to insure against dropping it or having it wrenched from your hand. Also, with such a large "mouth" on the cutting hook, I'd hate to see a finger get pushed in there because it was too hard to grip under stress and movement. Especially if it's the riders themselves that are expected to pull them out and use them.

The bull fighter was looking for a compact size to wear as a neck knife. There will be some more modifying done to it, and like you suggested the point on the hook will be dulled down as well.

I'm working on another style that will be full size and the finger groove will be placed farther back to make it foolproof.

Thank you for the suggestions! I still have a long ways to go on this style, and needed some input on it.

Hmmm.... a neck knife for a bull rider. That could get a little tricky, no?

I mean, aside from being bounced and swung around, if it gets to a point that they are caught in a rope, chances are they may very well be upside down (and still bouncing and swinging).
Now, if it's somehow clipped or secured to the belt or shirt/vest/jacket, then maybe I could see getting to it. Personally, I wouldn't want anything around my neck that could get hung on a gate, a bull's horn, or anything else for that matter, but bull rider's don't exactly get paid to be cautious I suppose. :s12138:

The knife is worn by the bull fighter on the ground, not by the riders.

He wanted a neck knife that will sit behind his chest plate or a knife that would strap to his arm/leg. The neck knife is rigged with break free clasp as well. The Kydex sheath is made so that a velcro strap can be used or paracord can be strung on it for a neck knife.

I didn't know we had Bull Fighters here in the USA? Bull Riders, Ropers & Rodeo Clowns.

I guess they don't harm the bull? Like Portuguese style Bull fighting?

Sounds like some interesting tools to develop.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hey Laurence!

The bull fighters in the rodeo circuit step in between the rider and the bull or help the rider off if they are stuck on.

I'll throw a couple pictures of the guy on here that is helping me design the knife and also testing out the prototypes. He was using a strap cutter from Ontario Knives, but the length was an issue and he also got his hand caught it in since the sheath didn't work on his ankle like he wanted. So, the knife is designed around what he needed and wanted.

562042_3638292879499_324106634_n.jpg

523296_3638293519515_1591693049_n.jpg

Ah, this knife is for the fighter, not the rider... I misunderstood. In that case, a neck knife would work just fine.

Cory,

its been since I was a small boy in Houston Tx, since I was at a Bull riding Rodeo,
Back then they dressed as Clowns and were the "Rodeo Clowns" that helped out the rider in need. Maybe it was or is a Texas thing?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

The Clowns used to be the entertainment and helped out with the bull rider. They still somewhat do, but the bull fighter is hired strictly for helping out the riders. Its pretty interested being able to talk to him about his experiences not only as a former rider, but also as a bull fighter. Its a huge responsibility and its kinda cool he came to me with an idea!

I am talking early 1960's in Houston.
There were Entertainment clowns, And Rodeo clowns, There were a couple of guys in cowboy hats that helped, but the Rodeo clowns did the most to help at the Rodeo's that my father took me to in Houston.

Those are fond memories!

I have no idea how they do it these days?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Bull Fighters have evolved into their own in the past few years.
They are a special breed for sure.

Clown or Bull Fighter I owe my stones to a few of them back in the day!

Great idea on the cutaway tool, but I too think a bit bigger handle or a lanyard could be in order to keep ahold of it when things get hairy.

Please keep posting your results!

God Bless
Mike

Thanks for the input Mike!

I'm still trying to figure out the final prototype for this thing. I agree with you guys, maybe a little bigger handle and for sure a lanyard.

Cory

Thanks for the input Mike!

I'm still trying to figure out the final prototype for this thing. I agree with you guys, maybe a little bigger handle and for sure a lanyard.

Cory

Cory,

This could be a great little knife to add to your line, Help these guys and make a few bucks for you and your Bride to be.
If I may suggest? enlarge that second or middle finger cut out and make a more pronounced Thumb ramp. This will help giving at least three solid points of pulling power contact, A fourth for the pinky would even be better if that doesn't make the handle too long for the customers wishes? Do you have a small wheel grinding setup?

You are welcome to call me if you think I could be of help to you? Brainstorming or??

Call me at the shop at 11A PST 310-395-3075

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I like the idea, and I dont think the knife in your picture is far off. I was thinking that it needs to be made so that the user can obtain a good grip on it regardless of the hold so that he can preform the cut quickly and safely. This will be a very adrenaline heightened few moments while the rope or strap is being cut, and a good grip is crucial. Needless to say that the bull will be lashing about making the cut a difficult trick to begin with.
I guess this is just my ramblings about things you guys already know. I just think you need to not only concentrate on the idea that this thing has to be surgical sharp, rugged to take some punishment, but has to be gripable as well.
I would love to see some larger pictures of it just for my own gratification.
Please understand that I am sure that the other posters and myself want to see your knife become very successful. We want to help!

I have a picture of myself holding it, the angle of the picture is off a little.

550405_388006377935566_1354872019_n.jpg

Laurence, I like the idea of the thumb ramp. A few people are looking and testing it out in a week or so. Hopefully they can give me some direction since they are the people that will be using them. It is a critical tool and I would hate of it to fail in a life or death situation..

Eric, the sucker is pretty dang sharp! I like the way it feels in my hand when I'm gripping it, it could use a little more length though. Also, this one has a dymondwood handle, but the final product will have a Micarta or similar handle that will be left rough.

Thanks for the help guys!

Laurence, had another thought? Would jimping help or would it be better to make a thumb ramp/stop?

Yes,
I put Jimping on the Thumb Ramp. Since this would be for a draw cut only you could reverse the ramp so the rise is in the rear behind the first joint.

Another kind of handle shape I would explore for this project is a Egg handle, Look at the Cold Steel Vaquero knife to get a look at the idea, I have flattened this pattern and added a thumb ramp in the past for a short handled fighter. Sorry it was years ago and the pictures were lost in a Puter crash!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back