Road Runner handled damascus knife

Tom Lewis

Awhile back I got the idea to use a scroll saw to cut out a design in a knife handle and fill it with InLace. InLace is sold in wood supply places and also in some knife supply places. It comes in several colors, but being in the South West, I use turquoise.
The problem with a design on a handle is that the handle is wider than it is tall. Most design are taller than they are wide. The roadrunner is wider than it is tall, so it works. There may be other designs that will work as well. So far I haven't found any that I like.
I got the design off clip art, reduced the image to the correct size, cut it out, used rubber cement to glue it to the handle. Then using the scroll saw I cut the roadrunner out.
I filled the cut out with InLace and then finished the handle in a normal way.
Last year a similar knife won first place in a local Art Show. I plan to enter this knife in this years show.

Attachments

• 023 (640x480).jpg
    023 (640x480).jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 028 (640x480).jpg
    028 (640x480).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 34
Just shows how out of touch I am - this "Inlace" stuff is totally new to me. I had to search to find about it. Seems to be a liquid you pour? Did you cut complete thru the scale? OR, is it just part way thru like an inlay? That is interesting - nice job. I like the Roadrunner:)

Ken H>

The InLace comes in two parts. You mix it up then pour it in the cavity. The InLace is a thick liquid. It will completely dry in 24 hours. It then can be cut, sanded, etc. To use on a full tang knife I make one cut out of the roadrunner in a block of wood twice as thick as I want the scales to be. Then after the InLace has dried, I cut the block down the center and have two scales.
InLace comes in different colors and the possibilities are endless.
I would like to see what others come up with. The design needs to be wider than it is tall.

Thanks for the info Tom - InLace sounds like it's a special type of epoxy resin that has different colors mixed in? I'd not even thought about something like that. I could CNC a shape into the scale, say 1/8" deep? - then fill with a white (or other solid color) epoxy for a shield look?

Hey, could put a "shield" in scales, then engrave a name in the shield, fill that with a contrasting color (white shield, black letters) as a plaque to the new owner.

I wonder how deep the epoxy would need to assure it never falling out?

Thanks again for the info,

Ken H<>

1/8" deep might be a little shallow. I have used InLace on woodturnings and I try to go maybe 3/8" deep. 1/8" might work if you make a recessed cut. The possibilities are endless.

Back