Rail spike knife

roadapples

Here's the latest Rail-spike knife. Moose antler palm scales.

101_1347.jpg

101_1348.jpg

101_1354.jpg

101_1352.jpg

This was the first Rail-spike knife I attempted to put scales on, had some issues with getting the tang flat enough to attach the scales. It's a good thing I didn't charge by the hour on this. Could have caused some sticker shock issues...:what!::biggrin:

Definitely a learning experience!

Looks good, but if I was going to put that much time into a knife I would start with a known, high carbon steel

Looks good, but if I was going to put that much time into a knife I would start with a known, high carbon steel

Steve,

This was a requested piece. One of the guys I worked with saw one of other Rail-spike knives and asked for it, I used Robb Gunter's super-quench and it seems to be holding a decent edge, at least for a while, but this is more of a curio/ display anyway. And it was something I hadn't tried so...

I like it. Now make one with a forged in piece of high carbon steel for the blade edge. That will keep the form and give you a great functioning blade.

Nice work.
Spike knives are fun and pay+ for every show I do. It always seems like a break to get away from the serious side and forge out a spike.

Wade

George, Putting a high carbon blade in the next one, I've got some horseshoes I'm going to do that to also.

Wade, Very true. They sell pretty fast. I do explain to the folks that they are more "knife-like objects" than true knives but that doesn't seem to bother them. The same with the horseshoe knives. The fact that is something somewhat unique is the hot button.

Back