Question on my grinder build (Almost done)

JawJacker

I looked at McMaster Carr for the 40lb gas strut-shock. I cant figure what one you guys are using, looks confusing dont want to order the wrong one. David

JawJacker

OK think I have it figured out, Im reading some of you are using 60lb in stead of 40lb any advice?? on this would be great.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Just a bit of advice when mounting a gas strut on a grinder..... mount it with the rod portion/seal facing downward. A couple of years ago I had three of them fail on me within two months.... I finally figured out that all the steel dust/grit of grinding was getting to the to seal and destroying it (at the time I was mounting them with the rod/seal facing up). When I mounted them with the rod/seal facing down, it took almost a year before the seal went, and it failed.

I've since gone back to the typical spring..... never had one of those fail. :)

JawJacker

Ed, as I was reading your post I though, I wonder if a large wire shrink wrap would work just cut it long and heat the 2 ends to seal them. just a though.

Is the best place for a spring Mcmaster what poundage??

NCbiker, do you have many belts break @60lbs. I also have it setup to wet grind wondering how that will affect belt life @ 60lbs

Thanks David

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
not sure which grinder you are building. I have a Wilmont LB1000 with an adjustable tooling arm that has 2 small wheels with the platen in between. by moving the tooling arm, I can adjust for any belt tension I want regardless of the spring rating.

JawJacker

Scott, Im not a metal guy, I have taken a few ideas from different grinders out there Im further along than the pic. The idea I have is KMG, tag 101 style for the tension arm, rear pulling spring or top shock or spring may just do a spring.From reading I see most tracking problems are solved with heavy tension. Question is how much?2.jpg

NC Biker

NCbiker, do you have many belts break @60lbs. I also have it setup to wet grind wondering how that will affect belt life @ 60lbs

Thanks David

I've been running with 60# for over a year and never had a belt break. I also run wet when I'm grinding post HT, again no problems.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Ed, as I was reading your post I though, I wonder if a large wire shrink wrap would work just cut it long and heat the 2 ends to seal them. just a though.

Is the best place for a spring Mcmaster what poundage??

Got back to the thread a bit late!.... Ya know, I think if a guy could rig up some type of "boot" or "protector" for the exposed rod/seal, that just might be the answer..... I'd not thought about doing that! That might just be a reason to give the struts another chance in my shop! :)

It might make you laugh.... but all the springs on my grinders came from the local Ace Hardware store. I used the original springs as a reference. I had no idea what the poundage was, so I just visually picked the springs I'm using based on the wire diameter, spring diameter, and overall length... and picked springs that looked a bit "heavier".

JawJacker

Little more done, Im on the tracking arm and wheel now.IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1180.jpgIMG_1181.jpg
I dont have a VFD setup yet, so the plan is use this 1'' wheel and the 4'' drive wheel as needed.

Last edited:

Navin_R_Johnson

The weight of your spring will depend on how far from the pivot it's mounted. Just like a longer wrench will give you better torque because your hand is farther from the pivot.
Compare that pivot/sprig distance to a few known designs and you should be able to get a good guess for a spring weight.

JawJacker

All that 1/2 in. has to have me around 150 lbs so far plus I need a 16x22'' bottom mount plate and the tracking arm. Im changing the work rest to cold rolled 1/2x4x13. I do like how tall I have it set Im 6'3 keeps my neck and back straight.

Boy, that's one study looking machine well done.
Frank

mcreskar

I used a 40# on a grinder that I built for a friend and he said that it could be a little stronger so im going to put a 60# spring on mine. You have take the weight of the tracking arm into consideration also. Nice grinder btw.

Mack

JawJacker

Im getting closer,1z1 (1).jpg1z1 (2).jpg1z1 (3).jpg1z1 (4).jpg1z1 (5).jpg1z1 (6).jpg1z1 (7).jpg1z1 (8).jpg little more done as I said, I get very little time to play. The time I took to make sure the wheels centered each other I hope pays off.
I ordered some belts I still may go with the shock not sure yet.

JawJacker

95% done
Tracks well, belt is tight doesn't wander with pressure I took the platen off gluing the glass on now. Tension spring is just sitting in there (for now) think Im going with a shock. This thing is freakin heavy, smooth and relatively low noise. Its going on a low cart. I should be wrapping this up soon, Ive been busy as hell lately I started this I think it was Oct. well worth the wait. Just want to thank everyone for the info and advise I received here. I hope the posts help someone down the line. I think if you can cut weld and drill, these grinders are relatively simple to make.

IMG_1228.JPGIMG_1229.JPGIMG_1230.JPGIMG_1231.JPGIMG_1232.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Self Made Knives

Looks great! I see elements of other designs incorporated all into one, obvious you researched this a lot. How about a video tour when you get it all wrapped up?