Question about hidden tang knives

Sprayman

Hello, knife makers:

I'm getting ready to make my first hidden tang knife. It's all cut, ground, heat treated, and even has the guard soldered on. On a video recently (maybe it was Forged in Fire) I saw someone build the handle by cutting the shape of the tang out of a piece of wood that was the same width as the tang. He then epoxied the tang into that piece, and sandwiched that between two scales. He finished by pinning it. Does this make sense? If so, I'd love to know if any of you have experience building this kind of hidden tang, and if you know where I could find some videos on it. I'd like to learn more about the method before I try it myself.

Thanks

I think you’re talking about Walter Sorrell on FiF. He has tons of videos, but I’m not sure if he has one describing this process... he probably does though. It makes good sense, but you will end up with a two piece handle. I’m pretty sure that this technique is very old... aka pre drill press. If you have a drill press and the tang is fairly simple (not a bunch of curves and such), getting a snug fit should be fairly straight forward. Then you would achieve a tight fit, with a one piece handle which you could still pin. This seems to me to be a stronger design. If the tang is hardened, get a carbide bit, and go slow. If the pin hole is already drilled, measure where that hole is good good hehe.

Please note that I am making all of this up and honestly have zero clue what I’m talking about. Really. But people will answer you who do know what’s what. That I can guarantee!

Welcome to the greatest knife making forum on earth!

Do a YouTube search for Nick Wheeler. He has some of the best videos I've seen for doing hidden tang knives.

Here's a good one:

"....Please note that I am making all of this up and honestly have zero clue what I’m talking about. Really. But people will answer you who do know what’s what. That I can guarantee!

Welcome to the greatest knife making forum on earth!"

LOLOL! Kevin...where ya been?

What you're talking about is called a "Rabbit Tang" design. I've been using this method for many years. Basically half the thickness of a tang is cut out of each handle scale.......then the tang is "sandwiched" in the handle scales. Personally, I use an 18V trim router, with a two flute carbide router bit....makes controlling the depth and shape of the cut very easy. The "Rabbit Tang" method is also the basis for creating a frame handle, as well as several other techniques.

Basically, it's a frame handle you're describing. It's just wood or synthetic or whatever other material that makes up the 'frame' instead of steel or other metal. It's been done numerous times by a host of makers, myself included.

What you're talking about is called a "Rabbit Tang" design. I've been using this method for many years. Basically half the thickness of a tang is cut out of each handle scale.......then the tang is "sandwiched" in the handle scales. Personally, I use an 18V trim router, with a two flute carbide router bit....makes controlling the depth and shape of the cut very easy. The "Rabbit Tang" method is also the basis for creating a frame handle, as well as several other techniques.
That would be a good video Ed.

You can choose to listen to them if you want, buuuuut, I would listen to them. Also, please be careful with rabid tang. As with all things in knife making, safety first.

Ted, man I have been in and out of the hospital 4 times in the past 6 weeks. Can't stop throwing up, and they still dont know whats wrong with me. I have been tested for everything and they are clueless. I have an appointment with a new dr next week. fingers crossed. I am feeling a little better, and its good to be back here with you all. I miss you guys.

Back