Question about being a vendor at shows - Specifically Blade in Atlanta

J S Machine

I have traveled to Blade show in Atlanta for about the past five years. I have never been a vendor at a show. It has been my goal to get to being a vendor for many years, and it looks like this year I might actually be able to pull it off. My goal is to have ten knives built by the show in June, and, I have been looking at any info I can find about it.

I've told myself that if I take ten knives and don't sell a single one, the experience and exposure alone will be worth it (but I'm not sure if that is an accurate assumption). I'm trying to get my knives into the hands of more people so that I can better establish myself. Maybe it will lead to more and more shows and other things.

I'm not sure what all is involved with being a vendor, and I was hoping that some of the makers could respond here and tell me a little about it. I realize that Blade show is pretty packed, and I don't even know if it is possible to get a table with the show only being four months away.

I have an RV (motorhome), but I don't know if that is feasible. I know most makers maybe stay in hotels while they are there. The distance is really too far to drive back and forth each day, so staying in the area would probably be better.

If you don't already have a table, you need to contact Blade and get your name on the waiting list. If they haven't already, they will soon be offering those tables who's previous holder(s) did not pay for. I believe tables (single 8') for the 2016 show are right around $600.... give or take. Booths are more expensive, and generally you will see 2-4 makers who will go in together on a booth and share the space. Its very likely that table/booths at the show are sold out, but the way to get a table is be ready for a last minute call/travel. Often times tables will come open at the last minute, and if you're ready to jump, you can get a table.....at least "one time". I don't know how many names are currently on the waiting list, but in the past I do know that some have been on the waiting list 4-5 years before finally getting a table.....its simply that kind of show. When folks get a table, they tend to hold onto it for as long as the are able.

If you've not made hotel reservations....do it now! Otherwise you won't find a vacancy within walking distance of the show. (most stay at either the Waverly or the Sheraton Suites (right across the street from the show).
Also, beware of the scammers.....I've received no less then a dozen phone calls over the past two months from outfits claiming to be "with the Blade Show".....trying to tell me my hotel reservations have been cancelled, and wanting my credit card info to "re-establish" the reservation.

Personally, there is no way I would take an RV/Camper.... parking is always tight, and full, and unless you get there 3-4 days prior to the show, chances are you won't find a place anywhere near the show to park an RV.

As shows go, there is no other Knife show like Blade. It attracts sellers and buyers from all over the world..... I've been doing the show every year since 1995, with the exception of one (when I was deployed to the Middle East), and although there are always "up" and "down" years, its consistently been my best show from a sales standpoint of every year. In fact, this year, its the only show I plan on doing. I've had two Blade shows where a single individual (with with an interpreter) purchased everything on my table.......and I've also had Blade Shows when I came back home with knives.

In my opinion, if you are a custom knifemaker, then the Blade Show is the single "Must Do" show of the year. There is absolutely no other show on the planet where you will be exposed to the number and level of buyers, and contacts that the Blade Show offers. Even when I have those "down" shows I spoke of previously.....it's very common that within 30-45 days after the Blade Show, the orders roll in, often times enough to push delivery times well into the next calendar year.
Its certainly not a guaranteed success, it takes a lot of prep work, time, and money to do the Blade Show, but the potential rewards in terms of sales and exposure simply can't be had anywhere else.

Last edited:
I was asking about a table Tracy. Sorry, I didn;t know the difference at the time i posted the message. Thank you all for the info. I did talk with blade last week, and was told that tables sold out the first week of this month. There are currently ten people on the waiting list, and I'm just not sure if i should sign up. I know that they require a $200 deposit with the remaining balance due on march 1st. I might as well go ahead and pay it all. the question i did not ask was if i would get any portion of that back if I didn't get a table, and I'm thinking that I might get the $400 remianing balance but lose the deposit.

Anyway, It kind of bummed me out when they said sold out and waiting list. I had no idea how hard it was to get into the show. I kind of figured it was first come first serve, and had made my mind up to just shoot for registering right after the show ends, that way I will be sure to get a table for the 2017 show. After what you said now Ed, I'm not so sure that is guaranteed either.

I know the power of Blade from an exposure standpoint, and that's the reason I want to get there. Still undecided on what to do. I realize waiting isn't doing me any good, but I'm just not sure if I want to put money on something I may or may not get.

The folks who run the Blade Show are pretty good people..... they have a vested interest in accommodating everyone to the very best of their ability. I suspect that any deposit required would be returned, or at the very least applied to whenever you do get a table.

just shoot for registering right after the show ends, that way I will be sure to get a table for the 2017 show. After what you said now Ed, I'm not so sure that is guaranteed either.

Its not..... most folks who have tables/booths will put down a deposit for next year's show, during this year's. Blade usually holds everyone's table until Jan/Feb time frame of the following year, and if they are not paid up by the "drop dead" date, then the tables/booths start going to those on the waiting list, until everything is sold out..... that's likely the reason some folks have spent years on the waiting list. That was why I suggested getting your name on the list ASAP.

Back