Proto of my new edc folder...

J

jryan76

Hi all,

I wanted to share with you a new design for me and also my first full Ti framelock.

Don't have a name for this one yet, I'm open to suggestions:)

Blade: 3/16" stock 1095 with a tumbled finish (will do future ones in D2 most likely, and some stainless)
Handle scales: .100 Ti Framelock (will probably use .125 in the future)
Orange G10 backspacer

OAL: 6 3/4"

I think this folder handles really well. I've been carrying it a few days and really like it. So far so good on a solid lockup and it has a nice early lockup that has taken several good spine whacks;)

I do have some .73 Ti that I will use for the next couple
I make. I'll do those as a liner lock while I work out some bugs on the design.

here's some crappy iPhone pics.. Let me know whatcha all
think! A special thanks to Chacon is in order as well;)

Thanks for looking!
693599d5.jpg

663482fd.jpg

b060a14d.jpg

58a6b6bf.jpg

9a08df4a.jpg

3c2784ea.jpg

I like the overall fit, finish, grind and look a lot. I'm not sure whether to love or hate the orange G10 back spacer.

I am one of those people who announces in a conversational voice, "knife." to warn those around me whenever I open a knife, so it appeals to me quite a bit there. On the other hand, when my knife is pocketed, I am not sure I want a beacon drawing attention to it, especially since it doesn't look like a deep carry clip. On the other other hand, if I dropped it in the woods, that beacon might be exactly what I wanted...

I think this looks like a great knife. As you said, its a prototype. Maybe a poll to see if people would want the orange or a different color? Or offer it both ways...

2thumbs

Thanks Rock!

I like the orange backspacer, but you make an excellent point about it possibly drawing unwanted attention.
I probably make the backspacers in all different colors in the future:)

thanks again!

Very nice design. I like the orange spacer. If you need one tested out for you .I will put it through the paces 2thumbs

Jared what are you doing building friction folders without extended tang:eek:
Just kidding looks like you've built a sturdy little tank2thumbs

One Question....

You Gonna do this in Sheepsfoot blade :)

I too was wondering if he was having blade option.
mitch

I really like the look of this. Looks like a great edc. Not a huge fan of the hugmongus clip, but it looks like a sturdy knife and I love that blade. 2thumbs

Thanks guys!

Will definitely be doing some different blade profiles, Sheepsfoot for sure!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Might try and trim down the clip in the future. I like the fatty clip:), but that will probably be a custom option like scales and backspacer materials/color on future models.

Thanks again!

Quick pics of #2:)

This one is all work!

I finished this one out with a bit of a primitive finish.
Raw bar texture on the blade flats, 220 on the bevels. It went right into the tumbler after tempering cycles.

I made a mess of the liner, it functions perfectly but I wouldn't sell it, just because I have a "larger than I would like" hole in the liner at on end of the lock cut. Really sold lock on this one and the detent is great...lots of suck:)

Beadblasted GCM handles and backspacer with a single .072 Ti liner, also beadblasted. I love how the milling of the GCM scale and relief on the liner matched up perfectly! Total accident, but it sure made me happy:)

I love a good Sheepsfoot and there is a lot of blade to handle ratio on this one.

No pocket clip, but it carries real nice in loose in the pocket. That jimping on the underside of the tang...the blade needed a little additional material taken off there as it stuck out of the frame just a hair, I decided on the checkering, just gives a little more grip for your index finger.

Thanks for looking and the feedback.

Couple quick iPhone pics on a rainy day here.

36be4a92.jpg

7d233302.jpg

Quick pics of #2:)

<SNIP>
I made a mess of the liner, it functions perfectly but I wouldn't sell it, just because I have a "larger than I would like" hole in the liner at on end of the lock cut.
<SNIP>

...so you are having a giveaway for folks who don't mind large holes? :D :D :D

Good looking piece, buddy.

Haha...maybe, we'll see:)

hotrod...didn't get your mail bro, try: jryan76@gmail or
shoot me a pm if you like.

Thanks guys

Back