Propane regulator help

Daniel Macina

OK so last night I had the Forge going and all of the sudden without touching anything the Gauge went a lot higher than what I had the regulator set at But the actual pressure went way down. Now Gauge won’t go below 10 psi and I can open the regulator all the way in the Forge acts like it’s running at two PSI. This is a brand new regulator from high temp tools and also a relatively new propane tank only have about an hour on it and can still feel it’s mostly full do you guys have any idea what the problem might be? I am on a tractor and using voice to text to write this so hopefully it makes sense. If you need more info just let me know.

Sounds like one of the internal diaphragms has failed. I say "one of" because propane regulators contain 1 to 4 internal diaphragms, depending on pressure rating and build quality. I've had several cheaper ones do the same thing over the years....... the only variety that's never failed me looks like this:

Sounds like one of the internal diaphragms has failed. I say "one of" because propane regulators contain 1 to 4 internal diaphragms, depending on pressure rating and build quality. I've had several cheaper ones do the same thing over the years....... the only variety that's never failed me looks like this:
View attachment 69388

Dang. So it’s going to take a whole new regulator? Dang. That wasn’t a cheap set up either. Don’t even have 10 hours worth of forging on that regulator I don’t think

I swear I have to stop entering the KITH it’s bad luck. Everything breaks as soon as I enter it. Happened last year to. On top of some other life changes. :)

Out of curiosity, did you drain a tank on that regulator. Mine seem to break right after a tank runs completely out of gas. For that reason, I do not run a tank until it quits anymore.

Out of curiosity, did you drain a tank on that regulator. Mine seem to break right after a tank runs completely out of gas. For that reason, I do not run a tank until it quits anymore.

Sort of. It was still sputtering when I shut it off. Not real sure how to be careful so it doesn’t run out. Had it on this tank for an hour hour and a half with no issues and then all of a sudden it started going crazy

I now run my forge off of a 60 pound tank and I fill it when the sweat ring gets to the lower third of the tank. No problems since.

Back