Peters Heat Treat

Wiredude

I know some here have/do deal with this company. I've seen and heard good things about them, but I do have a couple of questions that I didn't see answers to on their website.

Are their rates different depending on the steel you send them? Or is it pretty much just dependant on oil vs air, cryo vs no cryo? Or is it pretty much the same across the board? Personally I'm thinking of using pretty basic stuff, say 1095 or O1, but I might get a wild hair going...
In addition to above, does anyone know a general idea on their rates? I know I read/heard there's a decent break once you hit batches of about 10 or more. I'm talking edc/hunter/skinner type blades, probably between 7" and 10" oal.
Just kind of trying to feel out my options, I'm very new and learning, and an oven/kiln isn't realistically in my near future.

Just give them a call. They can discuss all the details with you. Great people to work with.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Their rates cover everything; heat treat, foil wrap, temper, cryo, straightening, and Rockwell testing. I've used them a couple times now and both times I sent in batches. I took advantage of the 20 pieces for $110 and I believe there is an even better rate for 40 pieces. I believe the only restriction is that all the pieces must have the same austenization temperature. I don't know the prices for single pieces, but have heard unless you take advantage of the batch rates, they are more expensive.
Like was already advised, give Brad a call.
Good luck,
Chris

I just sent in a couple of AEB-L blades and was quoted $27.50 each for the first four and then $110.00 for 5-20 blades. You will have to pay for shipping on top of that. They do a great job and in my opinion, it's worth the price. Please give them a call to confirm as the pricing for your particular job might be different, (814) 333-1782.

I'm not sure exactly what steels constitute being a different batch of steel. Maybe only Brad, the heat treater there, knows that exact cut off. My guess was oil quench vs air quench. In other words, if you had a 1095 and O1 blades....they would all fall under oil quench...and there would be no price penalty. If you had O1 and then M4, then you would have two different steels that have different quench mediums, and thus the price penalty. If you had AEBL and M4, they would both fall under air hardening, and thus no price penalty. And I use the word penalty loosely. Their service is top notch, and cost effective especially at the first price break of 10 knives. I have sent AEBL and M4 to them....there was no price "penalty"....they were priced as if it were the same steel.

As far as cryo....they do cryo on the steels that need it even if you don't ask. Heck, they may cryo steels that DONT need it for all I know. Best thing is indeed to call them and ask them specifically, "What steels do you group together? Is it by quench medium? Austentizing temp?" (I seriously doubt it's aust temp that dictates what steel is part of what batch, due to my experience with them)

Another reason why they are such a great company, I talked to Brad on the phone about a custom heat treat for my personal CPM M4 hunter, and he was more than willing to employ "my" procedure. "My" procedure being some theory put forth by Roman Landes/Nathan Carothers and a few others. When a heat treat company was THAT accommodating, they got my business for life.

Stuart, to the best of my knowledge, it is the austenization temperature that determines if things go in the same "batch" or not.

Chris

Peters is the best IMO. Send them everything I do. They cryo everything AFAIK. Even if the steel doesn't necessarily see any benefits from it.
I can say without a doubt their 60HRC 3V heat treat is awesome. Made a big ol cleaver out of it and it chops through sheep bones all day, or at least that is what my customer tells me.

Back