Peddinghaus vs. Kanca

jmforge

Nobody seems to have the 50 kg/110 lb Peddinghause. So would you guys go with the 35kg/77 lb Rigid-Peddinghaus or the 50 kg/110 lb Knaca?

I have not used a Kanca but I have heard good things about Kanca Anvils from people who have used them. When I get ready to replace my PW there are two anvils on the list. It will be either a Kanca or a Holland Anvils. I like the London pattern better so it may well be a Holland.

Can’t speak for the Kanca, but I do have a #165 Peddinghaus and I really like it. For what it cost new vs what old ones are going for, it was worth it. It doesn’t have a step, but I can make one easy enough to fit the hardy hole.

I had a Kanca- small one about 45lbs and it’s a good anvil. The shop that teaches blacksmithing classes has quite a few. I don’t think you can go wrong with one.

There had been some rumor about some Kanacas havng soft tops. From what I read, both are drop forged in two pieces and then welded together. 1045 type steel IIRC.

The Holland anvils are cast in one piece and the entire anvil is then heat treated. I wonder which ,method produces a better anvil. I have seen many old anvils which were welded together come apart over time.

The Holland anvils are cast in one piece and the entire anvil is then heat treated. I wonder which ,method produces a better anvil. I have seen many old anvils which were welded together come apart over time.
I don’t think you would have to worry about that with the Ridgid anyway. The face isn’t welded, rather the weld joint is on the waist of the anvil, halfway between the face and the bottom. Now if a person could find one that was drop forged from a single chunk of say, 4140, with a case hardened face over a hardened body, that would be badass. Doubt anyone makes anything like that though.

JM why are you looking at this size of anvil.......seems a bit small for someone with your experience?

JM why are you looking at this size of anvil.......seems a bit small for someone with your experience?
Because I have to move it myself. I would have preferred the Peddnghaus 110, but nobody seems to carry it in the US. You go from 77 to 165.

Last edited:
Back