Panoramic Shop Pic & New Power Hammer Pic

Burton

Panoramic Shop Pic & New Power Hammer Pic (video added)

I took a panoramic picture of the shop the other night. Used a tripod and pieced the pictures together in Photoshop. Also took a picture of my new Power Hammer. It is a Ted Banning hammer that I picked up off my good friend Moon. The hammer is a 40lb head and hits very nicely. I worked on the dies a bit and need to fill the base back up with sand but have forged a bit on it without. It is floating on the floor right now not bolted down. Once I figure out for sure where I am going to put it I will probably bolt it down as it walks a bit now. It is a nice little hammer that I am pleased to have added to the shop. It should save on my shoulder a bit:)

shop-panoramic-for-web.jpg

hammer-for-web1.jpg

[video=youtube_share;V-2eRKnkNaI]http://youtu.be/V-2eRKnkNaI[/video]

Last edited:
I wish I had a shop that size. I am in some tight corners. Love the shop pics and good luck with the hammer.

I used adhesive chalk to afix my Big Blue to the floor. It walked before and I was using it before the chalk had set up and it walked over a couple of inches. It has not moved since and being one with the floor hits harder. Dean, owner of Big Blu, told me that it would hit harder if chalked to the floor and I have found that he is right. There are no bolts in my floor. The sand will also make it quieter and add to the anvil mass.

Thanks guys I am very blessed and thankful to have the shop I am in! My wife had to sacrifice being a bit further out from shopping than she would have liked! :)

Thanks Wayne I am going to have to try that sounds good and it will save me using the hammer drill!

Wayne, when you say "adhesive chalk", what do you mean?
Do you have a picture of your mounted to the floor so we can see it?

I think he meant caulk. You know I speak Ol' Blacksmith language :9: Thanks again for the advise Wayne. -Burton

Burton is right, I meant caulk. I never can remember how to spell that.
Tracy, I will see if I can get some pictures but there isn't much to show.
I do like the dies of my hammer higher than they are on the Big Blu so I built a platform by gluing 6X6s together with Liquid Nails between each 6X6, clamped them together with pipe clamps then spread Liquid Nails over the top and applied a layer of Advantech (similar to OSB but much denser and 3/4" thick, it is used in the Silent Floor system), screwed it down on 4" grid with decking screws, flipped it over and applied another piece in the same manner.
Then I used a masonry saw to cut through the floor to isolate the pad from the remainder of the floor. I filled the saw kerf with caulk to keep scale and other dirt from filling the gap.
Next I spread a tube of caulk on the floor and placed the platform over that.
Next I spread another tube of caulk on the top of the platform and set the hammer on that.
Without the caulk the hammer would walk. Before isolating the hammer pad from the rest of the floor my 500# anvil would walk. Now they both stay in place.
The next issue was that the foot peddle was 7" above the floor so I build a remote foot peddle that I can move anywhere within 10' of the hammer. The exhaust valve on a Big Blue is a ¾” ball valve so it was easy to disconnect it, add a longer piece of tubing and another ball valve with mechanics to operate it. A side benefit is that I can move the foot peddle back away from the hammer when working long stock. Like the 10' long Window Treatment I recently made. BTW, do you know the difference between a curtain rod and a window treatment?

About $500.00.

Tracy, if you are coming here before going on down to Batson’s Blade Symposium with me in early April you can look it over and play with it.

Back