Order Books

tkroenlein

Curious how everyone manages their orders. I kinda lean toward "hard copy" type tracking. I have considered making up an excel sheet to print and keep in a binder, or purchasing some type of bound book that I could fill in. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Bruce McLeish

When I had my own business, I used Quick Books. It did everything like billing , invoicing, vendors, all you need to run a business. It's also very easy to set up and use.

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
I have a white board in the shop that I write orders on, name, model ordered, handle material and any other details. I also note if it was an order from facebook, instagram or text message. This let's me go back and look at the discussion had when it was ordered.

John Wilson

I use an excel spreadsheet. As a part timer it’s all I need. It’s also super handy for repeat customers because their info is already there at a glance.

Additional tabs are there for material lists per design, if one is so inclined.

tkroenlein

I *could* use excel or quick books, but as a fella who spends about 90% of his working life looking at a computer, I've learned to appreciate doing things more of the old fashioned way.

Remember photo albums? You could thumb through memories. I suspect that as well as keeping track of what amounts to a pretty low volume of work, I'd like to build something tangible.

tkroenlein

I have a white board in the shop that I write orders on, name, model ordered, handle material and any other details. I also note if it was an order from facebook, instagram or text message. This let's me go back and look at the discussion had when it was ordered.
You build a zillion knives. How big is that whiteboard? ;)

I've already added a line for how they got ahold of me. That seems like good info.

chrisstaniar

I have a spreadsheet that tracks costs, gives me a total of my cost for a knife and then i have different profit percentages added onto the base cost.

For invoices and tracking, I use waveapps.com. It's free, creates nice invoices with my logo for my customers, can handle deposits, etc.