One man's trash

Meridian Blades

Moderator - Knife Maker
I have an idea that I would like to redo this case. Basically gut it and wrap it in leather and reuse the buckles and corner hardware. Make a new leather handle and redo the interior with some nice fabric etc.

I was thinking I could replace the old rivets with Chicago screws, but whats the best way to clean up the rest of the rusty metal parts?

Hopefully will make a nice storage case.....

casebefore001.jpg

casebefore005.jpg

casebefore003.jpg

casebefore002.jpg

casebefore004.jpg

Soda blast! Its gentle, and works well.

Just in case someone isn't familiar with the process...

[video=youtube_share;qiD3uDScgSo]http://youtu.be/qiD3uDScgSo[/video]

Last edited:
Oh shoot...I was going to say sand blast. Use a glass medium so it just glazes the surface. It will be easy to polish up afterwards.

That process is cool........... I just used the "evapo rust" juice.. Seemed to work just fine. Have I mentioned how much I DISLIKE RIVETS !!!!!!!

Here are some more progress pics, as I go along. RIVETS galore .....

casebefore001-1.jpg

casebefore002-1.jpg

casebefore004-1.jpg

casebefore003-1.jpg

casebefore006.jpg

casebefore005-1.jpg

The top and bottom are both covered and dyed, but it still looks a little streaky and spotty but that should get better when I rub it out. There is also some pics of the hardware after it's rust remover bath. I will replace the 3 small hinges with a new piano hinge that's 30 inches long and of course will make a new leather handle, but I would like to re-use what I can. I am working on building the thin wood frame that rests on the inside of the case, and covering that with black fleece.

hardwarepieces.jpg

topandbottom.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,
I have the frames built and covered in fleece. They're not attached to the case itself yet, but have been dry fit inside the case. When they're attached, the sides of the case will flatten out and there won't be those gaps (waves)....Here's a pic of the inside of the top and bottom of the case.

x.jpg

Hey Rudy,
Thanks for the link that might come in handy.... Far as what goes in the trunk. Well I dunno, we'll have to see. :biggrin:

Back