Old but new...

fitzo

Hello,
I’ve been a member here forever but shuttered my shop some years back for health reasons and left behind the social scene/ forums. . A little vitality returned recently so being a little more active means knives. So, I reach out to the community again, too. Don’t recognize many names but I’m told yer a good bunch. :)
Can’t forge anything anymore, so back to all stock removal. Just going to fiddle around and see if I have a few knives left in me. Maybe learn new alloys and the latest heat treat cycles. I have time to experiment now.

The rest: pushing seventy, married 46 years, no kids, 2 pits, retired flunky chemist for Big Pharma. From Northeast Illinois. No more Harley, sadly.

So, hello forumites. I look forward to making some new friends and renewing acquaintances with some of the early crowd.
Cheers!

Last edited:
welcome back. I'm sure that you'll be back up to speed purty quick. Ya probably have some good stuff to teach us newbies , too, I'll wager.

Hey Mike,

Next time we chat, let's go over our new super alloys together ;) Our mutual friend already has me ready to load up on some as soon as I work through the O-1 that USPS is dilly-dallying about delivering.

Cap

Thanks, everyone! I'm eager. Now to see how willing the body is.

Hey Mike,

Next time we chat, let's go over our new super alloys together ;) Our mutual friend already has me ready to load up on some as soon as I work through the O-1 that USPS is dilly-dallying about delivering.

Cap
Hey, Cap,

I was looking at my steel stock. All old and dusty but damn if there's not more'n I could use in my remaining lifetime even were I real active. Not very much modern in there, and there're some 35 year old 6 foot bars of ATS-34. I sure am a packrat. :)
Nonetheless, I will be laying in some new stuff, of course, as I really like CPM154 and the new alloy is beckoning with both its promise and the appeal of NEW and shiny.
No oil quenchers this time, though. Can't take the lingering oil in the basement with the lungs after the PAPR comes off.
Pisser: surface grinder table is stuck solid, solid, solid on the base with polymerized way oil. This will be a problem.
mike

Again, thanks, everyone. It feels good to have some dirt on my hands, and feel some grit splatter me.

I also hadn't shown anything for a long time, but the reason for me is that my work involves a lot of travel. I hope you will brag soon and show a ready knife. These days I will also show another ready-made knife.

Welcome back from the over 70 guy.
Over 70!! I have a few months to go. My body is shot, my mind is slowed, my eyes are dim, the years take their unrelenting toll, but I'm still happy for each one. Hope you are, too, sir! Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm just glad to be alive...! Last two years have been like a bad surreal dream...o_O
I hear that, Ted! it does indeed get surreal at times, living in a world of so damned ill you question why at times you would want to continue to go through this crap.

2001 the doctor told me to, "Take retirement if possible and try to preserve what little life you have left." Scary. I was 50. So I did. No one expected me to still be here 20 years later. I'm not quite certain who the joke's on. Been a rough ride, and continues to be, but through the blessing given me in my wife, I'm still here. She is bound and determined not to let me go. :)

My only point, Ted is hang in there, sir. Even when it seems certain, we just don't know.

I look forward to all us greybeards celebrating 2030 with Tracy. :)

I can relate Ted. You went through a real rough patch there.
Yeah...I turn 60 this year.lol. The doc just suggested trying for disability as my feet/legs are doing worse and the congestive heart failure is barley holding even....sigh. I still have new knife ideas I'm going to try...! (I just hired a disability company to help with getting SSI disability...I don't want to waste what energy I have battling them folks...)

it's a day to day battle. I use Ed to remind myself that you just have to chill on the bad days and work on the good ones and pray a lot too....and things still get done.

I think you made a very wise move hiring an agent to pursue your SSI, sir. Seems everyone gets rejected the first time if they try and do it on their own. Good luck with it, Ted.

Indeed, one day at a time.

Back