nwg build

I am building the nwg and cannot find 1.75 inch square tubing. Could i use 2.00 inch tubing instead. Any suggestions are welcome.

I use 1/8" wall 1 1/2" and 1 1/4". You will find that the 1 1/4 won't go into the 1 1/2 because of the internal weld. I used my mill drill and plough a grove in the 1/14 that matches the weld. I think, but have tried, that you could plough this grove with a cut off wheel on a 4" angle grinder. Using this size tubeing makes for a nice fit and not as much slop as using the 1/16" wall. Use the 1 1/4 for the tensioning arm and you will not have a problem lining the grinding wheels up with the drive and tracking wheels. I have some posts that have my Build a Belt Grinder Brochure attached. Look the pictures and PM me if I can help you or answer any questions.

you can use what ever you want. i used 1.5" .if you have any questions just ask...

g1_003600_x_451.jpg

Thanks everyone for the quick response to my question. Iam glad i found this forum and enjoy it very much. Hope to see more tuitorials and WIP

I started building mine today. It's similar to the NWG and I am using whatever scrap I can find in my shop. I bought the tool sleeve and tool arm from Tracey and the rest I'm scrounging.

Larry

I started building mine today. It's similar to the NWG and I am using whatever scrap I can find in my shop. I bought the tool sleeve and tool arm from Tracey and the rest I'm scrounging.

Larry

PICS LARRY!!!!!! We need pics please.useless1:beg:

I used 2" tubing with 1/4" inch wall thickness. Put some 1/4" diamond plate between the upright post to add a little bling

What type of stores sell steel tubing? Home Depot has some sizes, but only in 1/16", Lowes - nothing, Tractor Supply - nothing. I tried googling Sq steel tubing in NY and got wholesalers and construction companies.

look for metal dealers that sell to welders. the grinder is constructed of (very common) metal tubing most often used in industrial construction.

I posted a wanted ad on craigslist. Got a response a day later from a steel yard that was sitting on tubing they couldn't sell because the economy was so bad. They even cut it to the lengths I needed.

Where are you and what did they charge you. If it is close enough I might get some.

Edit: oh I see. NJStriker, I bet you are in New Jersey. To far for me to go for that. mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble

Last edited:
I posted a wanted ad on craigslist. Got a response a day later from a steel yard that was sitting on tubing they couldn't sell because the economy was so bad. They even cut it to the lengths I needed.

That's a good idea! I've found ads for steel fabricators, welders etc but they seem to big for a 1' of this 2' of that kind of order.

Back