Nobody likes lockbacks?

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
I have looked around a lot here and find very few lockbacks. Why do so few people make them?

When I started investigating making folders everyone said that liner locks are easier to make; Is that the reason so few make lock backs?

I prefer lock backs in general and wonder if others just like liner locks more or if they sell better or what.

Please give your opinions on lock backs, good or bad. Reasons for not making them. Why you prefer liner locks over lock backs as a maker.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob
I started with lockbacks when I started making folders. I have found that they are not nearly as popular as the liner locks unless they are very dressed. Your basic lockback does not seem to be at all popular. The linerlocks are easier to make as far as I'm concerned as well and far more popular. Any luck on the auto? I am starting over for about the 5th time now.
Steve

In general, I don't think there is anything wrong with a lockback design, IF that's what an individual likes/desires. The reason that I do not produce them is simple......safety. To explain: When/if a lockback locking design fails, it fails suddenly, immediately, and usually with catastrophic results (someone usually gets hurt/cut badly).

In my opinion, a liner lock is a much safer design, in that... in order for the locking design to fail, the locking bar must either crinkle or break to the point where it can no longer make contact with the locking area of the blade. (I've never seen or heard of this happening on a liner lock) Since the lock bar is "sandwiched" between the handle scales, it's a virtual impossibility for it to fail suddenly/immediately. When a liner lock fails, it does so slowly, meaning that it gives the user plenty of warning that something isn't right. Because of this characteristic, it means that IF a liner lock fails, it almost never causes injury to the user. That's not to say that it's impossible for someone to be injured due to a liner lock failure, it's just the the odds of NOT being injured, due to a liner lock failure, are MUCH greater.

As Steve mentioned, Liner Locks are also easier for a maker to correctly produce, simply because there are fewer parts, and fewer precise angles on the parts. A liner lock (depending on the individual maker's style) will have only 1 or possibly 2 surfaces of the locking area(s) that require specific, precise angles. With a lockback design, there are no less than 4 surfaces that require specific/precise angles. Finally, most folks can easily learn to operate a liner lock design one handed, which makes the design more "usable" to most. User care/Maintenance is far easier on a liner lock.....generally just about anyone can take a liner lock apart (screw construction), clean it/lube it, and then reassemble it in such a way that the folder works. That is usually not the case with lockbacks.

There are still some folks out there who believe that lockbacks are a better design, and that's OK. "Better" is such a subjective term. In the end it's up to each individual to weigh the pros/cons of each design, and make decisions based on those insights.....what I have talked about here are only MY opinions, based on MY observations and experiences.

Last edited:
I've never made a folder. As Stabber said, as a user, once you get used to opening AND closing your knife one-handed, it's hard to go back. My trusty old 110 was slicked-up enough that I could snap it open by pinching the spine, but closing it one-handed isn't really a viable option.

The primary drawback for lockbacks for me is that it takes 2 hands to both open and close. Yes, I know you can grab the blade and flip it open with one hand, but then you have to change your grip before you can use it. The second issue is that if you happen to put pressure on the lock bar while cutting, it can unlock and foldup. An example of this would be if you were doing a simple thick shaving cut on a stick, you would be putting pressure on the lock bar release point with the heel of your hand. I've had it happen more than once. Never been a problem with a locking linner. With a midlock, the tension required for a strong lock makes it uncomfortable for me to unlock and the front of your palm is in contact with the lock bar again, in use.

I was just looking at a Bose design that has a lock back. A whittler in a somewhat seahorse configuration with a locking main blade. And I have to agree with Mr Caffrey on this when they fail they fail hard and quick. I wouldnt want to be held acountable for that.

I used to love lockback but one handed opening and closing has me spoiled.

I agree 100% with Ed. I made 2 lockbacks from knife kits early in my knife making and was concerned even with premade parts because the locking system didn't feel very secure to me. Dan

I don't mean to be contrary, but I believe you can take Mr. Caffrey's first sentence and exchange "lockback" for "liner lock" and have an equally accurate statement. I make both designs and can defend or condemn either one. It is my observation that liner locks seldom, if ever, fail because the lock bar bends or breaks, but because the bar silps off the face of the locking surface at the back of the blade. I have seen this happen frequently with knives that were either poorly made or mistreated. Unfortunately, liner locks lend themselves to mistreatment because it is so darn fun to snap the ol' blade open, and no knife is going to last long in the hands of a person who mistreats it. I suspect this one aspect of the design is why most factory made liner locks have a second lock or safety.....that good old product liability issue. Although I have never seen one do so, I suspect a lockback fails because the lockbar breaks or the locking lug slips out of the lock notch, both are more likely than not to be a function of poor craftsmanship, not an flaw inherent in the basic lockback design. I should also note that lock back and slip joints can be screwed togather like a liner lock. Perhaps the safest design is the slip joint, you know if you don't use it correctly, you are going to bleed.

A thumbstud lets me open my 110 one-handed but I still have to use two hands to close it. No problem as far as I'm concerned. I've always felt a lockback was a 'stronger' lock than a linerlock but I've never had either type of lock fail. I have to agree though that the one-handed 'open' & 'close' of a linerlock as well as a framelock have spoiled people. But what do I know... I still carry a slipjoint! :1:

DSCN3458.jpg

People wanting the ease of one hand operation put the stop on lockbacks

I started out making lockbacks and I grew to hate them after about a year, when I started messing around with linerlocks I quickly got hooked on the one handed operation and hated to mess with a knife that took both hands to operate. Now that I've been making flippers it's sort of gone a step further, I hate to mess with a thumb stud, I guess I'm just lazy :)

I've never tried a lockback, but I have heard they can be one of the most difficult designs. I hate to say that the reasons on this page not to make them skew my thinging of whether or not a want to attempt one, but they are good reasons not to.

It is about Safety. I could make a good lock back. But when a lockback fails it is bad, nmy dad had a Buck 110 fail on him. When a Linerlock fails it fail in an open postion. There are still a few makers that still make lockbacks. Dewey Harris spend an afternoon with me explain the design and construction of lockback. You see few guild makers still make them.
But if I am making a folder. I am doing a frame lock or liner lock.

I too am spoiled by the ease of one handed opening knives.

I LOVE frame locks.

I may be A odd ball! but I like lock backs! Ive never had any trouble with them. Ive never had one open up on me when it was in my pocket. I like them.They are not as quick as a linerlock,but if your not in a hurry,who cares!

I like lockbacks. The Schrade LB7s were some of the first knives I collected and I still have several of them. Back in the days when I did a lot of camping I always had one with me and never had one fail in many years of use.

I like lockbacks, used a lockback for 14 years while guiding elk hunters and still carry one today. That would make close to forty some years packing one and yet to have one fail. Kinda like a hammer in my book, use it right and your fingers are safe.

I like the "snap" when you open a lockback. Sounds so cool, lets the people around you know you have a knife out and ready to use. As for not being able to open or close it one handed, I don't agree with. Properly made a lockback can be "flipped" open and closed with one hand. They are harder to make, but I think well worth the effort.

Back