Next step..FOLDERS (pics)

One Armed

Starting this project this week. Well, to be honest...I’ve been designing this Framelock folders on my CAD program for months! Ken knows. Think I showed him one of the design predecessors l, what..like 4 months ago Ken?? Anyway, Ive been slowly gathering all the tooling I needed, and been working on my milling. Pretty involved, designing a folder! I would work on the design and save it, then come back a day later and realize something needed changed! So I have 15 iterations saved in my documents. Just little changes here and there. But I believe I’m finally ready. I’ll add to this thread as I go.

I’ll be making my first order with you in the next couple days Tracy...so keep an eye out! LOL!

I may fail miserably, but it will be great learning. I was simply going to keep it quiet then show it finished. But I think doing a build thread for this will be super fun! I did this when I built a custom 1911 right after my accident in 2014. On 1911forum...many people followed it and told me how much they enjoyed it. I had so much fun sharing that with everyone! I hope this can be the same.

Attachments

One Armed

Got most of the parts. Thanks Tracy!:)

Using CPM20CV for the blades. Frame Lock scale is .190 6al4v Ti., but I’ll be be surfacing that down a tad. The opposite scale will be a very thin Ti. liner, with the Carbon Fiber pictured.(the CF I make.) The hardware here is SS pivots, through barrels & stops... PB washers and Ti pivot screws.

I am really looking forward to this! :cool:

Attachments

BrandantR

This should be a fun ride, David. I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about this build. I just finished designing a frame lock too, but haven't had a chance to build it yet. Good luck to you and I'll be watching intently.

KenH

I just found this thread David - not sure how I missed it over the weekend. As I've told you before, I do like the looks of that framelock folder. Good design from what I can see. I'm subscribed to the thread now so I won't miss any more of it.

Motor City Mike

I'm always interested in WIPs but especially folders.

Having built a few folders that worked and more than a few that didn't, I'll only add one thing. Flat, square and parallel is the name of the game with folders.

I'll be following this thread the whole way.

One Armed

I'm always interested in WIPs but especially folders.

Having built a few folders that worked and more than a few that didn't, I'll only add one thing. Flat, square and parallel is the name of the game with folders.

I'll be following this thread the whole way.
Thank you Mike. No doubt on that criteria! Just designing it really taught me a lot. I don’t rush things like this. Hence, I’ve been working on the design for 6 months! I’m hoping my first one isn’t a failure. But if it is, no big deal. And whatever mistake(s) I make, I’ll know not to repeat! I did buy enough material to make a few. ;)

Slow going. Had a bad week. I think we all understand times when there is something you NEED to do, but don’t feel like! But I can tell you what depravity felt when you WANT to accomplish a task, but can’t because of pain. Oh well.

But today I was able to some. Got the first blade ground out.

Oh, and thanks for the sticker Tracey! It’s found a nice home on my grinder!

Attachments