New technique (to me)

Greg Rice

A lot changed when I added a compound curve into the bevel line (I dunno proper term) Now the back ‘eyed’ end of the jig must be free and controlled with the left hand so it can move in and out and back and forth and up and down - All 12 planes...
CC0F1FD3-139E-4EB1-B8DA-79DB52D54D89.jpeg

Last edited:
Just remember to go slow and easy , watch the bevel line with each stroke . You gotta kinda side slip to keep it all even. You can always call me if I'm not being clear enough.

I totally get the slide-slip - there are no 'calculations' - it's all feel and watching that mark - and you know me... I do tend to get in a hurry and have to step away. I am really enjoying the, I dunno, maybe 'art' of slide-slipping that tail around and watching the 'shine' on the metal change as you move that shine/dull edge around where you want it as you file - am I sounding crazy?? The knife will tell you what needs to be taken off. There - NOW I am crazy...

Back to draw filing - my hands (and somewhat the feel of the file and steel) wants to also 'push' file. Everything on that same plane as the draw - but a push. Is that a Homer Alarm??

No , that's fine.either push or pull. The most important thing is after every 5/6 strokes, CLEAN THE FILE. Otherwise, the little pieces of steel imbeded in the file teeth will gouge the crap into your blade. You'll learn to feel those little pieces of steel just before you say "CRAP"

The most important thing is after every 5/6 strokes, CLEAN THE FILE.
I'll second and third this, maybe even 4th....I found that when I'm in a groove, I do 4 strokes, then smack the file on my thigh twice to shake off all the swarf and repeat.
As Bruce said, you can feel (and see) when a chunk gets stuck in the teeth. I've found that a fingernail works great to pick these out if you catch them quick enough before they get embedded in the teeth. If not, I've also used a brass brush, and for really stubborn pieces, my carbide scribe works and doesn't damage the teeth if you're careful.

I'll second and third this, maybe even 4th....I found that when I'm in a groove, I do 4 strokes, then smack the file on my thigh twice to shake off all the swarf and repeat.
As Bruce said, you can feel (and see) when a chunk gets stuck in the teeth. I've found that a fingernail works great to pick these out if you catch them quick enough before they get embedded in the teeth. If not, I've also used a brass brush, and for really stubborn pieces, my carbide scribe works and doesn't damage the teeth if you're careful.
Ol' Bruce sent me a piece of brass that I hit every few strokes - I do have a brass brush tho - haven't thought about using that - thanks for the tip there billyO!

Looking good Greg! You've got a whole lot more patience than I do. :)
<sigh> not really - I just find that hand filing is much safer. Safer for me because I don't know how to grind very well and the grinder knows it (it has flung a blade or two) and safer for my shop because when I mess up because I was stupid I am not kind about it... Bruce is right - hand filing is somewhat therapeutic - the voices tell me it is good for me...

<sigh> not really - I just find that hand filing is much safer. Safer for me because I don't know how to grind very well and the grinder knows it (it has flung a blade or two) and safer for my shop because when I mess up because I was stupid I am not kind about it... Bruce is right - hand filing is somewhat therapeutic - the voices tell me it is good for me...
That's a GOOD thing. The voices tell me that too. Now you know why I'm so mellow!

Back