New shop urinal...

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
I didn't have one before...could barely make it to the other side of the building.....sheesh.

BUT....I have running water on my side and an old drain vent that didn't even go up to the roof...(sure THAT"S not to code...lol)

So here it is...a dog drinking bottle for one of those big auto-watering dishes...a rubber 4" to 2" adapter....dremel out a window...put a glass on top for "flushing"...add a paper towel holder for washing...and ted is a very happy camper...under $50...and I was literally thinking about building a bathroom. (I already had the soap dispenser and three bay SS sink from when we had the ol' store open....)

DSC01526.JPG

Well being how it's in "your shop" and that vent pipe is connected to that drain from the sink next to you............
I'd just pee in the sink and call it a day. just don't tell the wife and hook up a spray nozzle to keep the sink clean. Ha ha.

years ago I replaced a toilet in the house and the wife saw the drain in the floor and asked me where does that go? I said it goes thru the back yard to the city sewer. she just gave me a blank look and said...what?
it was hilarious, I explained the whole gig. I'd expect that from the wife but it's funny that a lot of people have no idea how utilities enter the home or how they leave, to some it's just some sort of magic.

years later I was out replacing the old sewer line made of "orangeburg" pipe, smashing it with a sledge hammer, never saw so many roaches, again the wife came out....almost thru up and ran back in the house. that was pretty funny too.

I've worked around public utility's all my life and man........have I seen some nasty stuff in my days.

Lol...Steve...ya got me! That is a commercial sink with a spray nozzle....things were goin' just dandy till the wife came down one day and caught me peeing in the sink...which i always did a shot of 409 and then sprayed after....she still wasn't impressed...

This is marginally better to her...yet not full caveman like before....sometimes "My shop...my rules" can be taken too literally....lol

My last little claim to autonomy was writing "urination station" which was also deemed not quite necessary...lol

This problem has been on my mind for a while, I just put a house in the Florida panhandle and moving up there soon.
it's on a septic tank. my yet to be built shop is going to be about 100' from the house so tromping to the house in the rain or what have you to use the bathroom isn't going to work.

So I'm thinking of putting a toilet on a stand a foot or so high with the drain going outside to a small portable holding tank that's on wheels for emptying holding tanks on RVs.

As for emptying it, I may just use a hole dug at the far end of the property with some powdered lime in it......like an outhouse with out the house. I don't think it would get filled very often and I really need a bathroom in my shop because if I happen to have people over to my shop that bring strangers or folks I don't know I'd rather not have them going into my house if they say they need to go.

Some of the higher end porta-Potties are a easy solution...that blue stuff works pretty good at keeping smells away.

Any of you guys looking to put a toilet in the shop where there's no plumbing, take a look at a Composting Toilet. That's what most offshore vessels are using these days because you don't have holding tanks and plumbing to worry about. Basically it's a dry port-a-potty that you put a brick of compost in the basin. Liquids are caught in a separate catch container and you dump it when you get a chance. Solids fall into the compost. A couple cranks of the handle augers it into the compost where the liquid is wicked out. (the liquids in your solids are what stinks, it turns out.)

No smell, no need to vent, no plumbing required.

And Ted, I had to laugh at Steve's comment because he said exactly what I was going to say, "Looks to me like you already had a stainless urinal."

Well being how it's in "your shop" and that vent pipe is connected to that drain from the sink next to you............
I'd just pee in the sink and call it a day.

That is my solution as well. My shed has an old handbasin in the corner at the right height so it is a no brainer that saves the trek down to the house. Pee, flush with the tap and back to work.

And Ted, I had to laugh at Steve's comment because he said exactly what I was going to say, "Looks to me like you already had a stainless urinal."
Yeah...it was okay...I had to stand on a block of wood as the lip of the sink was high...lol. I do like my new one better as I have privacy....there is a wide door to the lower shop just to the left of the photo...swing it open and it hides me and my new "bathroom". I was always worried my wife would bring a visitor in with the sink-n-block-o-wood model.

Pee, flush with the tap and back to work.
exactly. Huge time saver.

When I told my son I was posting this topic he was "whatever dad..." I said...I know it's way off topic...but i'm pretty sure I'm not the only guy that had to figure out a simple solution to a potty break that didn't involve leaving the shop.

using the sink always reminded me of the old Jeff Foxworthy bit:

He's talking about cheap motels in the south....call the the front desk...."I got a leak in my sink...." Manager: "Go ahead...."

I wish I lived in the country- all I'd need is a door facing out the back of the shop. Problem solved. Here, the neighbors frown upon such things.

What I dream of having is a deep sink in the shop to actually wash my hands so that I'd stop getting "feedback and suggestions" from the wife about leaving the sink dirty. I actually do wash the gunk from the sink when I'm done, but apparently she was a dental hygienist in a former life- no matter what you do it's never good enough for those people!

I wish I lived in the country- all I'd need is a door facing out the back of the shop. Problem solved. Here, the neighbors frown upon such things.

What I dream of having is a deep sink in the shop to actually wash my hands so that I'd stop getting "feedback and suggestions" from the wife about leaving the sink dirty. I actually do wash the gunk from the sink when I'm done, but apparently she was a dental hygienist in a former life- no matter what you do it's never good enough for those people!
Lol...it just that they KNOW you cleaned something besides a dinner dish....no matter how clean you left it....

I live in a small town(100)...it's worse than a big city. They all think they get "brownie" points for noticing every thing you do...and commenting on it. I have a school bus I painted and converted for light camping...I park it along the neighbors property line backed up against that side of the shop...keeps the two spinsters next door from literally standing at their window staring...and if i noticed THEY'D WAVE...brownie points....

They never asked why I parked the bus there...they know...But I'm that eccentric guy from California...lol

I dont have to worry about neighbours either although y town is quite big compared to yours Ted with about 430 living here. My shed door looks out onto rural paddocks and away to the hills beyond but in any case I always have the door shut for the simple reason that I have been working on gun stocks a great deal of the time over the recent years and for security reasons,shutting the door is a good habbit to practice both going in and going out..

I wish I lived in the country- all I'd need is a door facing out the back of the shop. Problem solved.

Yeah John, it's nice being in the country. My shop is on a few acres of woods, nobody to notice anything I do. When I poured the concrete for my shop I went to all kinds of trouble measuring and putting in the rough plumbing for a bathroom. Now I think that space could be more useful to me for something else. I've got plenty of bushes.

A real bathroom is a luxury and if it can be had, there's plenty of use for it. Bushes don't always suffice... even bushes with lots of big leaves.

Back