New shop toy...

Drew Riley

Been dreaming about owning one of these bad boys for the longest time. First I started out looking at the HF mini-mills, then the LMS bench top mill, then the grizzly 704, and finally just said screw it and bought the biggest mill I could afford and still fit in my shop... ;) Funny how I always start small/cheap and end up on the other side of the spectrum... hahah

8572137077_dc1fea499a.jpg

Still waiting on a VFD so I can run 3 phase, along with some collets and tooling, but I hope to be making chips by this time next week!

I'm so excited!

The mill is made by Kondia, which is an import brand (Spain) of Clausing. It's a powermill, model G (essentially a bridgeport clone), with a 2hp 3 phase motor and 9x42 table. It came with powerfeeds for the x and y axes, though I may put the y axis motor on the z crank if I can.

The machine itself is about 30 years old or so, but over all it seems to be in pretty solid condition. It has the standard spots of rust all over, but the ways and lead screws look great, and it came with a manual that showed a relatively consistent maintenance log, including a handful of parts that have been replaced over the years. The table does show a few drill/mill marks here and there as well, but overall, nothing I can't work around.

I decided to go with a VFD to power the machine rather than a phase converter, mainley because I found a VFD for about 100 bucks vs. paying 300 to 500 for a rotary phase converter. A static phase converter is just about worthless IMO, as it's really just a glorified motor starter, and doesn't give you true 3 phase operation anyhow. It's an 8 speed belt feed (85 to 3000 rpm) but the VFD will essentially give me an infinite speed option.

I still need to get a good vise and a bunch of tooling for it, but I'm really hoping to start taking on somemore complex projects such as various types of folding knives. I also have the option of milling gaurds, making various jigs and tooling, and really so many other projects where the imagination is almost the limit. Even simple tasks like drilling holes is going to be so much more accurate easier to do. My next big purchase after the vise will be a DRO.

Then I hope to slowly build my tooling and start saving up for a good lathe as well. ;)

Andrew,
My first impression was of a Bridgeport, with another name. They had 6 of those in a machine shop I worked in for a short time many years ago. I didn't know anything about how to operate one. But if you have the tooling and knowledge you can make one of those machines with one of them. That was the comment by one of the operators.

very cool tool!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have a like mill and installed a Phase-Craft rotary phase converter , they run about $140 and seem to do a good job, I also ues it to drive my belt grinder etc. They are found on e-bay.

I have a like mill and installed a Phase-Craft rotary phase converter , they run about $140 and seem to do a good job, I also ues it to drive my belt grinder etc. They are found on e-bay.

I saw those. Looks like the $140 is just for the control box. I would still need to buy a seperate idler motor to generate the 3 phase power.

Definitely something I will consider in the future, especially if I get another 3 phase machine or two, but for now the VFD should be adequate. A RPC is definitely the best option if you can afford it though.

Awesome score! The tooling will cost almost as much as the machine. The only thing I can suggest is to get the best vise you can get. I bought a cheaper knock off vise for my small mill and it wants to raise the work piece a little when clamping it down unlike a Kurt.

Well... just another little update:

I wired a new 240VAC circuit in my shop and got the VFD hooked up. Unfortunately, when I went to fiire up the mill: Nothin.
I took the cover off the peckerhead on the motor, and lo and behold, this machine used to run on 480VAC. (You think I would have checked that in the first place)

Unfortunately, this wasn't immediately apparent to me, as none of the wires are labeled. After thinking about it after I got to work tonight, and looking at the pictures I took earlier, I've figured out which wires are which and should be able to wire it for 240VAC when I get home in the morning.

Hopefully it's just a matter of swapping some jumpers around and firing it up, but I fear there may be a little more to it than that.

Awesome score! The tooling will cost almost as much as the machine. The only thing I can suggest is to get the best vise you can get. I bought a cheaper knock off vise for my small mill and it wants to raise the work piece a little when clamping it down unlike a Kurt.

Just out of curiosity, what was the brand of the knockoff?

Well, my fears were more/less confirmed today. Start checking continuity between motor leads and it appears that oen of the windings are bad, allowing me only 2 out of 3 phases.

Looks like I'm gonna have to source a new motor and probably a mounting bracket to fit it on the machine. Not how I wanted to spend my money before I even got the thing running, but it is what it is I guess.

Oh well...

Well, my fears were more/less confirmed today. Start checking continuity between motor leads and it appears that oen of the windings are bad, allowing me only 2 out of 3 phases.

Looks like I'm gonna have to source a new motor and probably a mounting bracket to fit it on the machine. Not how I wanted to spend my money before I even got the thing running, but it is what it is I guess.

Oh well...

Bummer! But it is an opportunity to install a 1 phase motor on it. I have no idea what brand other than "import" the vise is. I got it from Wholesale Tool the same time I bought the mill and a scad of things to go with it. If I had it to do over I might not do it differently. I can usually get the part flat and solid on the parallels if I get it finger tight and whack it with a dead blow hammer as I tighten it up with the wrench. Close enough for gov't work or slotting guards...

Forget my last post... I was running on about 1.5 hours of sleep and had just worked an 8 hour midnight shift when I was troubleshooting the motor... I got to thinking about things, and I realized I was checking continuity between the wrong leads! Turns out that the motor checks out just fine.

BUT.... I still have a problem:

The VFD I'm running doesn't appear to be able to start the motor. If I turn the motor shaft by hand as the VFD powers on, then it runs just fine; comes up to speed and runs on full torque.
If I dont give it that extra push, it just trips the VFD.

Anybody got any ideas?

Welll, for anybody interested, I finally figured out what my problem was: I was trying to use a drum switch between my line out on the VFD and the line in to the motor. Apparently this is a no-no.

The motor needs to be wired DIRECTLY to the VFD, with any controls/switched routed through an auxillary set of ports.

Who knew?

Back