New Quench tank

How much can it hold?

Ok did the math and anyone is more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. Diameter is 8" and the depth is a little over 11-1/2" I used 10" as the depth for a little wiggle room came out to 503 cubic inches, a gallon of liquid (US) is 231 cubic inches so about 2.17 Gallons. for this coffee pot. I'm sure you could find a larger or smaller one too?

Last edited:
Ok did the math and anyone is more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. Diameter is 8" and the depth is a little over 11-1/2" I used 10" as the depth for a little wiggle room came out to 503 cubic inches, a gallon of liquid (US) is 231 cubic inches so about 2.17 Gallons. for this coffee pot. I'm sure you could find a larger or smaller one too?

I think as long as you dont plan to quench a broad sword in it you will be doing just fine!! ;)

Update: I used this for the first time today to quench a Chefs knife I'm starting. It worked good it took longer to preheat the oil than I thought it would. Took about 45 minutes (I also stirred it to make sure the oil was equal temp). The other problem or I should say design flaw is I drilled a hole in the center of the lid for a thermometer to go in, problem is the heater element is in the center of the pot so it says the pot is 140F but when you stir the oil the temp goes down 20 plus degrees.

That is a cool idea, I think I have one of those hiding somewhere. I see from the side its labeled a 42 cup coffee urn? I think the standard "cup of coffee" size is considered 4 ounces. So you have a little over a gallon total capacity. So I am guessing you will quench with about a gallon of oil in there. Its a great idea but be careful of overheating your oil if you quench multiple blades consecutively. Very cool idea.

I use a turkey fryer myself. It comes with it's own stand and burner. The down side is that I have to have a second propane tank for it.

Doug

Back