New machine is in!

J S Machine

After years of debate and saving and trying to decide when a good time was, I made the move a couple of weeks ago. My output has been severely limited because I just don't have a whole lot of free time, and it doesn't look like that will ever get better. This should free up a lot of that time.

Already have a good bit of new material ordered. Should take me a few weeks to get fixtures made and everything proved out on a few prototypes, but I will greatly increase what comes out of my shop with this. I'm really excited and glad I made this decision.

I'm impressed with the machine so far. Although I am used to the power of big VMC's, this thing is impressive for its size. I won't be doing big big work anyway just messing around with knives. It is perfect for that.

IMG_20150322_132314_913_zpsppzrz0xd.jpg

WOW!!!! Now that is a real "toy"! You got all the tooling, computer, etc I see - is that the new Mach4 on the display? I'm IMPRESSED with that for a toy. My CNC is just a tiny desktop, but it's fun to play with.

Ken H>

i have some "tool envy" right now
good decision in my opinion especially since you know how to use it. For me it would be the coolest paperweight in the world.

You probably already now about it, but you should check out "Knife Making Tuesdays" on Youtube. John Grimsmo and his brother document their journey into knives with a Tormach very well.

WOW!!!! Now that is a real "toy"! You got all the tooling, computer, etc I see - is that the new Mach4 on the display? I'm IMPRESSED with that for a toy. My CNC is just a tiny desktop, but it's fun to play with.

Ken H>

That's actually PathPilot, Tormach's new proprietary machine control software. I played around with the Mach 3 for a bit, but I was not all that impressed. PathPilot is Linux based and I feel like it is the good choice. It is still in beta, but the full release should be coming within the year.

You probably already now about it, but you should check out "Knife Making Tuesdays" on Youtube. John Grimsmo and his brother document their journey into knives with a Tormach very well.

I have been watching them a lot. I have gotten many good ideas about fixtures and the like from them. I sent the guy a message, but I have not been able to get in touch with him.

Maybe he's busier than he used to be. I was considering getting one about a year ago, before I was into making knives, and asked him a few questions. He answered quickly with a long detailed reply. Seemed like a good guy.

Back