New knife steel

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
Now I dont know how long this steel has been around but ide like to know more. Im looking for a steel comparable to 154cm I use this for fillet knives mostly and some smaller kitchen knives. I also use CPM 154 for my skinners and hunting blades. Please some of you master smiths be honest and let me know if this ELMAX steel is up to the challenge of being equal to . I personally have not found a better steel for the same or less money. Lets hear it please Kellyw

When I make folders more for use, I use and very much like M390 and Elmax. They both grind and finish in a "good manner" as well as having great edge holding. Frank.

I use elmax and m 390 too and like it alot,it's what I use the most.
I get it heattreated to 62rc by Rob .I've tested both on moose and it works very nice.

I, too, am using M390 for skinners. How many moose were you able to skin without sharpening the blade.

Tim

This year I got one moose and no ploblem doing it without sharpening. I did one knife for a friend with a 3 inch blade he did two moose with it, and I ask him to bring back to me .It was still cutting good and I could still get it to cut the hair off my arm in some places. I did resharpen it for him witch was easy and he's very happy with it.Blade 61.5 rc.Very happy with elmax to use this one to carry every day 62rc with no ploblems.

Kevin

Kevin was it the elmax or the M390 that skinned the moose. I made a skinner for my neighbour he did a moose ,elk, wild boar in saskatchewan yes and a deer. My neighbour said it was getting dull but still shaved hair after the elk but the dirty pig finished it off and managed to gut a deer. That tells me if the m390 or the elmax what ever one your friend used worked awesome in real situations . I forgot to say the blade my fried used was one I gave him as a gift cpm 154 H/T by rob to 61.5 . Thanks so much guys and kevin please let me know what steel it was thanks again Kelly W

Kelly,
Niagara specialities Metals just sent me a 20" bar sample of 5/32" X 1 1/2" CPM S110V Steel to try out.
From the spec sheet it looks like they have another SUPER Powdered cutlery steel that has 2.8% Carbon,
3.0% Co, over 9% Vanadium. 3.5% Niobium. 2.25% Mo & 15.25 Cr. with better Corrosion resist than 440C.
And very high edge retention and abrasive resistance.
The Data sheet has a couple of pics showing a very fine and uniform mix of this steel and I would look into it if you are wanting a super Hunter & Fillet type steel?
I know it will be a BEAR to grind , but that is to be expected with a steel of this caliber.

I am going to make one or two blades out of this and may do a WIP with testing if time allows?

Here is their link if anyone wishes to browse the info that they will disclose about this and their other steels?

http://www.nsm-ny.com

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

It was M390 that my friend used ,and I,ve used m 390 for fish and moose and very happy with it.Every knife that I did with m390 the client was very happy.I alway ask for feed back when I sale a knife. I use elmax on my carry knife and is very happy with it too.I've only used it at 62rc so elmax at less I don't now.
Rob did the heattreating and m390 was 61.5 to 62.
I would have a hard time picking witch one I like the most m390 at 62rc or elmax at 62rc.
Every knife I make with a new steel I take one and use it first if I'm not happy with it I change it, now this is just my way of doing things.
Hope this helps
kevin

Laurence that would be awesome to do a wip on the elmax and the m390 very very cool. I had bought 2 pieces from rob 3 years ago of this super steel cpm s110 v I paid alot it was more tuff than cpm154 but that can be expected. I have not finished the knife because I can not make up my mind what handle material to use. Its a toss up of either white bone and have scrim done on it or mammoth ivory I also have some honey ox horn until I make up my mind im not sending it out for heat treat. I would like to get the handles prefit better before H/T thats why im at the stand still . Way way to much money for the steel not to have a king s handle im also looking at doing mossaic bolsters but Ive never had much experience with bolsters and will practice with brass and nickle silver first lol I have ruined a few. thanks everyone for the comments kellyw

Back