New hunting Knife Completed! #10

Longdog

Alright Finally got to my tenth knife! This one was allot of to build and i"m pretty happy with how it came out. This one is for an east Texas Bow hunter. The wood is harvested and processed here in Texas which is kind of cool i think. Anyways what you guys think? -Mark Cooke
1/4' 1080
Spalted Peeeecan
Ivory Micarta bolster
black G10 Liners
8" OAL
3 7/8" Blade
Hand rubbed at 320

Oh and Sorry for the pics (iphone), i struggle with this......

2926x4y.jpg

24g0e3p.jpg

aemznk.jpg

Lots to like. Grind looks good, I like the shape and that spalted pecan looks awesome.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

I really like the spalted woods... Makes a great handle. From someone that has never made a whole knife, how do you stabilize and harden the spalted woods. I have carved some handles that were used by others to make knives with, but have not made a knife personally. I love this one though.

I really like the spalted woods... Makes a great handle. From someone that has never made a whole knife, how do you stabilize and harden the spalted woods. I have carved some handles that were used by others to make knives with, but have not made a knife personally. I love this one though.
this particular example was surprisingly hard, and had a tight grain will no pits or loose areas, it really only required a soak in danish oil. some guys use diy home stabilizing kits such as things like cactus juice, or even send it away to stabilizing services.

Back