New Forge Build

Looks like a good start - you are going to update as a WIP? This to be a blown forge?

That is looking AWESOME!! Not sure if you made it the same dimensions as I did....but I had to use an engine hoist to get mine in place. :)

Ed , mine is a shade smaller but before I poured it I slid it square under a chain fall that is on a overhead rail in the shop. Before I poured the body I figured it to be around 250 lbs. I did not radius the burner hole but located it parallel with the side wall so the opposite radius wall give me good air movement.

That is looking AWESOME!! . . .but I had to use an engine hoist to get mine in place.
Agreed! That looks great! Using some kaowool, will help the weight for sure. I didn't in mine, opting for 2" of castable instead. I'm not exactly sure how much it weighs, but it took 2 of us to get it on the stand. If I were to re-do it, I'd do what you did, using 1" of kaowool under the refractory.
My design is great if the forge is going to run all day, and if one is using large stock for sculptures, but not so great for shorter sessions making blades.

We have a top , it has Kaowool on the bottom which I painter a very wet coating of Mizzou on one side and then poured the top . For my form I bought a 4''x 10' piece of vinyl flooring , worked great.IMG_2155.JPGIMG_2156.JPG

Well just the motor controller and pyrometer to install and another week to cure and its time for heat. While I bide my time I am putting a small propane torch in the burner hole and heating it up a bit.IMG_2165.JPGIMG_2169.JPG

Fred, Been following your build and you're planning some serious forging! GREAT job. Is that one of those Amazon blowers? For $80 or so they're a good deal, and seem to work really good moving plenty of air.

Keep an eye on the blower....because of where it's mounted. I suspect it's gona get pretty darn toasty where it is. I initially had mine mounted too close.....and fortunately the smell of the paint burning off the blower tipped me off before it was destroyed. Ever since my blower is mounted at the end of a 1' piece of pipe, below the forge. (that's an 18" piece going from the elbow, into the forge.)

Here's a pic that shows where I ended up placing my blower.

That position not only protects the blower for overheating/burning out..... but I've also experimented with having the blower in this position, and with it straight up..... the forge actually burns better/hotter with the blower down, below the level of the forge..... my best guess is it's because the air is colder and likely denser there, versus positioned straight up. That might sound screwy, but in my shop, when I'm forging, there is a very big temp difference at about waist level on me......way hotter above, and way cooler below.

All that being said.....if the blower remains in that position, just keep a close eye that it doesn't get too hot.

Last edited:
Fired up the new forge today , it was at 1200 before I could even slap myself on the back so I shut her down . I will fire her up later in the day again and slowly move the temp up.IMG_2172.JPGIMG_2174.JPG

Back