New dude, looking to be taught

A Beaty

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I’d like to introduce myself, I am Austin I am located in Virginia,

I have very minimal experience in stock removal knives. I am guessing that I have made approximately 100 blades in high carbon. I have also dabbled in slip joints and I have made four of those thus far.( not to any degree of professional fit and finish) ....

I have been accustomed to blacksmithing since 2011 after graduating from horseshoing school.

I say all that to say this, I have attempted probably 30 back lock Proto types with horrible success, meaning none at all.

Is there anyone on this thread that can direct me to someone, or is someone on this thread that wouldn’t mind spending whatever time necessary to carefully instruct me on how to complete a back lock appropriately?

I will obviously compensate you for your time materials and anything used. But I’m not sure this is an appropriate request? Or has this been done before? I’m very teachable, I’ll do whatever instructed.

I am still active duty army, so I will need some time advance of when we could get together as I will have to put in leave for that timeframe.

Thank you for your consideration, stay blessed.

Austin

Many here can help you but fill out your profile for location, it will help with hands on training in your neighborhood. You are way more advanced than me with knife builds. I have learned so much in this forum. I started when covid started, no hands on but this place is valuable and learned so much by folks here pointing me in right direction.
Lastly, thank you for serving our wonderful country.

Welcome aboard.. If you can make stock removal knives the hard part is usually well ingrained.. Clean lines, good designs.. The forging will come pretty quickly understanding the first 2.

Every knife will eventually hit the grinder.. :) Just saying..

Welcome. Sounds like you have a solid start. This is a great forum with good folks that are not hesitant to share their knowledge.

Back