New anvil

Discussion in 'Knife Dogs Main Forum' started by jakehorst2, Dec 30, 2016.

1. jakehorst2

jakehorst2 Member

Looking for a "new" anvil actually I would prefer a Fisher Norris Eagle or Peter wright but. I'm open to other vintage/antique anvils I have new anvils I would like a functional piece of history though anybody know where I can get one???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

I'm assuming you mean new to you. The best way to find a good anvil these days is to do a patient search.... meaning to look, and look, and look, until you find something that you like. Also, you can't be afraid to travel a bit...or likely you'll spend a wad of cash on shipping. Spreading the word (like you're doing here) as far and wide as possible will help make the search easier, but it still requires patience.

A friend of mine just drove from MT to WA. state and brought home a brand new Nimba..... nice anvil. I'll keep an eye out for you, and will let you know if I find anything.

3. Ty Adams

Ty Adams KNIFE MAKER

Let everyone you can think of know that you are looking for an anvil. You would be surprised were people find them. A friend of mine found me a #126 Hay Budden for $90 in 1 week.

4. Freds Edge

Freds Edge Well-Known Member

Check your local auction house , I live in a rural farm community and I keep an eye on the farm auctions,

5. springer82

springer82 Active Member

Knowing what state you live in would help. Your profile does not say.

6. Ruger4

Ruger4 Well-Known Member

or province.....:9:

7. jakehorst2

jakehorst2 Member

My shops in Kentucky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8. springer82

springer82 Active Member

There's one in every bunch!!! SORRY lol,,,

Well your not next door. I would think in your area with all the mining in the past you would be able to find some very fine old anvils. I enjoy hitting the flea markets and such. My problem is they are being sold as antiques. $$$$$$$ Just a rusty broken up pile of junk going for a very high price. I would like to know for myself what is a fare price. These days in many cases it does not go past,,, whatever the market will bear!

9. jakehorst2

jakehorst2 Member

Just found a 235 lb peter wright for $475 it's in good condition little to no restoration need to be usable good price or not?????

JW

10. springer82

springer82 Active Member

From what I have seen that is not to bad. Enjoy your new toy.

11. jakehorst2

jakehorst2 Member

Thanks guys for all the help

JW

12. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

I'd drive from MT to KY for a deal like that!! I grew up in southern IN.....and all my wife's family is in Glasgow, KY....... there is blacksmithing gear all over the place around there!