New Anvil on Amazon

Gliden07

100LB for about $370 delivered? Anyone have any experience with one of these. Literature says they are not cast Iron and are around a 52 HRC. Is this a viable "NEW" anvil or is it junk?? I have my 152 pound Peter Wright but for someone trying to find/Buy an Anvil current prices are sometimes ridiculous!! At about $3.70 a pound delivered new sounds like a decent deal. But I know little about them other then they are heavy!!

I'm not buying. I get asked all the time from people starting out, where and how much should they spend for an anvil. I have been recommending the NC's and want ads as long as you dont spent 10 bucks a pound for a vintage anvil. Was looking to reccomend something in addition to these. I'm going to also check out the Atlas anvil. Just figured this would have more of an appeal because of its traditional shape and pricing.

I'm not buying. I get asked all the time from people starting out, where and how much should they spend for an anvil. I have been recommending the NC's and want ads as long as you dont spent 10 bucks a pound for a vintage anvil. Was looking to reccomend something in addition to these. I'm going to also check out the Atlas anvil. Just figured this would have more of an appeal because of its traditional shape and pricing.
I've been looking at anvils it seems like for ever. Of the ones I've seen the Atlas seems to have the most bang for the buck. @John Wilson bought one recently. The other one I like is Boss Dog's Black Robin anvil. It is really nice, but is also more money.

For now I have a 40 lb piece of 52100 that has worked quite well.

With thoughts toward helping new and younger knife makers I talked my way into three forklift forks. I've cut one up and welded it into a different configuration. It's 5" wide, 4" tall and 15" long. Figures out to 85 pounds. 20191230_091154.jpg
I've found a new home for this one. Two boys 8 & 13 with a dad who is also interested.

While we are on the subject take a look at Holland Anvils. I have been looking at them lately and I just purchased their swage block and it’s of good quality. For the size their prices are good. They are made from H13 steel which I know nothing about. Let me know what you think please.

I curantly have one anvil and 3 anvil shaped objects,the first ASO I had was a 4 inch heavy equipment wrist pin with a large 2 inch thick valve blind welded to the top sunk in a bucket of cement, next was a large rock crushing anvil that works excellent and even better for knife making is a section of loader tine turned on end and sunk in a 5 gallon bucket of cement.I have had in my shop a old anvil on loan that's about 75 lbs and to be honest I dont use it all that much except for the horn and hardy hole and i use those two options alot .The folks that loaned me the anvil would like it back soon so I have ordered a Kanca double horn 110 lbs anvil and waiting for it to arrive. I think probably the best 3 values in a new anvil for blade smithing would be Kanca,Emerson and Holland. The Emerson and Holland are more traditional English style anvils and the Kanca is a German style that in my mind better suits a blade Smith due to its longer work surface.

How do you Butharden steel? Is this some radical new heat treat process? see attached.

-andy

Attachments

• Anvil Features Screenshot.jpg
    Anvil Features Screenshot.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 9
Back