New anvil and stand

John Wilson

I picked up the Atlas knifemaker’s anvil after giving up on the search for an affordable used anvil. Everyone is familiar with anvil prices, and here in FL they can be tough to find anyway.

As to the stand I made, well it ain’t pretty but I think it will serve the purpose. I used nine 2x4s and you can see from the picture that my time playing with Lincoln Logs as a kid really paid off. I filled the hollow center with about 120lbs of concrete, making the stand come out to about 230lbs, give or take. The anvil is about 65 lbs, bringing the total weight to just about 300lbs. It sits on feet to allow me to get a dolly under there to move it around.

I put nuts and fender washers on the bottom of my threaded rod and sunk the threaded rod into the concrete to make my hold-downs. Then I added some angle along the sides of the anvil to prevent any side shift.

I’ll fire up the forge this weekend and see how this anvil setup plays out. As for the anvil itself, it has numerous radii built into its geometry to make up for the lack of a horn. I’m anxious to see how well I can use them.

Attachments

• 76F09BE8-8850-4974-B9A6-4F2AD84537EE.jpeg
    76F09BE8-8850-4974-B9A6-4F2AD84537EE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 3101A978-961E-4930-8F50-C0D5B0B1FE9F.jpeg
    3101A978-961E-4930-8F50-C0D5B0B1FE9F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
I agree John! People that have anvils now think there Gold! I've seen Anvils that wouldn't be good for a boat anchors asking prices 400 plus dollars for JUNK!! If I hadn't lucked out with my Peter Wright I would have ended up with an NC, Atlas or Bosses Blackbird! Nice job on the stand!!

Thanks guys. It ought to be plenty for making knives, and if not I don’t have a pile of money in it. I was looking hard at the NC anvils but this one is about the same weight as their knifemaker anvil and all of the weight on this one is in that monolithic mass under the face. I don’t know how much that matters.

I was all set to buy a big block of steel and call it a day, but it would have been about the same price for the same dimensions as this one, which is hardened and has a hardy hole. Kind of a no-brainer.

I’m a stock removal guy because everything I do is in stainless. That’s not going to change. This is just a little mini-setup for things I want to do occasionally outside of my norm.

That looks great John, you could only have done better using Koa or Desert Ironwood...:D

Ha! Someone with pride would have used a miter saw to cut the boards, or at least have sanded it when it was done. This looks like I eyeballed the lengths and cut the boards with a pocketknife haha! I’m such a cheapskate that all I could think of was that the screws to hold it together cost more than all the lumber.

Back