Never a Dull Moment! Thoughts on Caregiving.

knifecarver

I haven't posted or worked on any knives in a long time. Life never fails to throw me a curve ball but I keep coming back, swinging. The hardest challenge... being a caregiver. I thought being a Mom was hard, especially now that the kids are adults, making decisions that will change their lives forever...and all I can do, is give & hope they listen to my words of wisdom. But being a caregiver is most difficult on a whole different level. Dealing with stubborn adults, who chose to do as they please and not as they should, gee, sounds like dealing with kids. Only adults are supposed to know better & set examples for their kids, not act like them especially at someone else's expense.

I vow to walk into the woods & die in Gods beauty rather than have my loved ones suffer & watch me suffer when my time comes. Dust to Dust. I know what it feels like to stand by & feel helpless. All I have to give is to be the best that I can be. I learned the hard way, you can't change a person. Only I can change. Thanks for listening.

Cathy

KenH

Cathy, ALL caregivers will have a special place in heaven that's for sure. I'm with you when it comes my time to go - just quietly and peacefully in my sleep.......... Then there was my Grandma who died peacefully in her sleep, but the passengers in car were all screaming WAKEUP!!!{g}

My hat's off to you.

Ken H>

smithy

Cathy, I know your frustration first hand. My wife has been disabled for the last 25 years. It takes a lot of work and frustration to keep going forward. Some days, all my planning goes out the window with each new 'crisis'. Insurance companies---I hate them. Doctors---I am sure I have bought some a new summer home or paid for their kids college education.

But I love her, and that seems to make everything worthwhile. Smoke and prayers go out to you Cathy.

knifecarver

Thanks Teddy & Laurence. If it wasn't for my knife wielding friends, I wouldn't have any friends at all!
I take my vow seriously. I wouldn't be the person I am (good thing?) if it wasn't for my husband.
BTW, Feb. 24, I'm having Hip Replacement Surgery. I'm a closet KnifeDog. If anything happens to go wrong... no one will be posting for me. Not that I'm worried, just saying. It's been Fun.

smithy

Look forward to seeing you back...and some more smoke and prayers go out to you. Teddy

knifecarver

Thanks for all the best wishes! Surgery went well, I'm glad I had it done. It made a big difference, pain wise & I'm now able to walk without a cane most of the time. I needed to have the surgery also because we are moving north & I have a lot of packing & unpacking to do when we get there. We are just waiting to close on 5 acres of land & we're going to try to live as much off the land as we can, chickens, rabbits, goats & a BIG garden. Our new home will be one level with a ramp for Greg & Titan. If all goes well, we'd like to breed more Titan Dogs!(Mastiffs) Everything happens for a reason & if we didn't have such a hell of a time these past few years, we wouldn't be where we are now. It was worth the wait, the pain & sacrifices. For 33 years we have dreamed of doing this.

KenH

Let's see Cathy, You already live in CT and you're MOVING NORTH!!!!! Wrong direction lady - I'm South of I-10 and that's too far north at times {g}\

I'm so glad your hip replacement when good - Mom had a knee replaced a few yrs before she passed, and it sure helped her get around better. My B-I-L has had BOTH hips replaced, and doing good now. First hip replaced squeaked on him when moving!

Ken H>

knifecarver

Naa, I've been South plenty of times, I Hate heat & humility, so does Titan. I have Canadian blood. Could have got more bang for our buck if we moved South, but this has been a lifelong dream & it's only 225 miles North. Living in CT is killing us. The town we are moving to has only 730 or so people in it. We can't wait to get outa here!

Before we retired as couriers, we used to go to Sikorsky's in Troy, Alabama quite often. Too Hot for me.

rhinoknives

Cathy,
Glad to hear the hip thingy went well!
My step mom has had both of them done and is very mobile for almost 80. Glad Titan and your hubby are doing fine too!:35: