Need a propane primer...

Forgedog

Im kind of thinking my current propane forge setup is a bit... Sketchy.

Im a welder but what little I know about propane connections is based on what ive pieced together myself.
I have many questions and tried to find a primer or propane basics explained online but nothing.

Things like what ntp or pol means, what the names of the fittings are, where the thread tape goes and doesnt go etc.

I have two burners... Both have a 60 psi guages.

Should I use a 60 psi regulator or will a 1- 100 psi also work?

Does the POL that attaches to the propane tank itself need thread tape?

need thread tape

ONLY if it is special tape made specifically for propane/gas fitting! DO NOT USE regular Teflon tape.. it is petroleum based.... you run a real risk of fire/explosion!
You should NOT NEED ANY tape of pipe dope with propane fittings....... the exception is if you are making a run of black iron pipe.....then pipe dope FOR GAS is a must.

You should NEVER need more then 30psi with any forge, even with multiple burners....if you do, then get a new forge....whoever built that one didn't have a clue!

Once you have connections made on propane or gas fittings......soapy water EVERY connection.... see ANY bubbles....FIX IT! Propane is heavier then air.....if it leaks, it settles/gathers in low spots....and if an ignition source finds it.....BAD NEWS.

Educate yourself as much as possible on gas/propane, ESPECIALLY WITH A FORGE INVOLVED.....If you don't, it's not IF....it's WHEN will a major accident happen!

Things like what ntp or pol means,
"ntp", never heard of that one, perhaps it's a typo and should be NPT? That's Nation Pipe Thread, to ID standard threads on fittings and pipe.

POL - I had to look that one up, - Prest-O-Lite - named for the company that first made the valve fittings. It's the fitting that screws into the propane tank. No sealant of any type is required there.

Back